1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 Sleep function

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Tylerpp, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tylerpp

Tylerpp Thread Starter

Hello, I've recently upgraded to Windows 7, it's pretty cool I like everything about it! just one thing about it is either different, or I'm not using the right settings, although I've had a fairly good look through them. I previously had Windows Vista, and I ALWAYS had it on sleep because I believe it saves on power, and is easy that way so people don't just barge in and use my comp, they'd need my password :D, so I used to keep it on sleep when I wasn't on it. This includes times where I'd be downloading something, burning or converting something, or doing things such as disk checks and Virus/spyware scans. I used to be able to do all these things with my computer on sleep with Vista, but Windows 7, anything to do with the internet just stops, I'll come back hours later and the download will have stopped, and then it all seems to pick up again, and scans or burning take for EVER they used to be the same speed! Is anyone able to help me out here? Any help would be appreciated thanks!

2. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

You must have had the Monitor set to sleep on the Vista system, but not the PC, or possibly just the blank Screen Saver. If the PC is in sleep mode, no programs are running. The only activity is monitoring the wakeup devices (Mouse/Keyboard/Modem/LAN/Task Scheduer) to see if the PC should wake up, and keeping the RAM Refreshed so it's contents aren't lost.

3. Tylerpp

Tylerpp Thread Starter

oh Really? Because I used to go to start, then sleep, and when i came back, it would always be at the welcome screen with enter password, I don't think it was just the monitor going to sleep?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914396

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice