1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 Slow Boot

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by HillBillyJim, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HillBillyJim

HillBillyJim Thread Starter

Hello,

I have a 2 year old Dell Inspiron 1750, Windows 7 Home Premium that is taking upwards of 4 minutes to boot up. If I boot in safe mode it will boot fine except it does hang ever so slightly while loading drivers, with the last driver being classpnp.sys but it is only for a few seconds then proceeds to finish booting up without any issues.

Here is what I have done so far...

Stopped a lot of programs from starting up at start up. Ran Malwarebytes and Virus Scan (Microsoft Essentials) both in safe mode. I then downloaded and ran CC Cleaner. Malwarebytes detected numerous entries of PUP.MyWebSearch and two entries for Trojan.Vundo. It was able to fix both issues.
    Virus Scan (Full) came back clean. CC Cleaner did it's thing. Opened device manager to check to see if there were any driver issues, and I don't see any indication of that. After all this the slow boot still happens. Now all this being said, once the computer does boot up it runs quickly without any issues.

Any advice with what to do next?

Thanks for your time,

Jim

2. rainforest123

rainforest123

Hello & Welcome to Tech Guy Support.

On which date did the problem begin? Occasionally the exact date is important.

When did the computer last work well? What changed? Perhaps a hardware or software install or removal; W7 update [ check W7's update history ]; an update to your anti malware or other program?

Specifically, what did you have CC do? Hopefully not any registry cleaning.

Welcome to the world of clean boot troubleshooting.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

RF123

3. HillBillyJim

Hi rainforest123,

Thanks for the reply. This isn't my laptop. It is a friend at work who was complaining of the slow start up. I thought I would give her a hand by taking her laptop home and having a look. I first checked to see how many programs she had running at start up. It was a lot. I thought once I reduced that to only the necessary ones it would fix the problem. I thought wrong. With regards to when her computer started acting up, I will find that out.

There weren't any anti-malware programs on her machine. There were a few anti-viruses though lol. Got rid of Avast and Macafee and just have Microsoft essentials now.

I only let CC Cleaner clean up temp internet files, history etc. Never let it do any registry cleaning.

I did a quick check of the Windows 7 updates and should I be looking for failed installs or just installs around the time the computer started acting funny?

Again thanks for the reply.

Jim

4. rainforest123

rainforest123

Malware includes viruses; thus antimalware includes anti virus.

Did you run McAfee's clean up / removal utility? If not, do so.

My routine, for ANY the removal of ANY anti virus program
    Uninstall from "programs & features" in the control panel.
    Shut down
    Run the anti virus removal program
    Shut down
    Run the anti virus removal program, again. Yes, again.
    Shut down

Welcome to the world of clean boot troubleshooting.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Read the KB & follow the steps.

RF123

5. HillBillyJim

Ok with regards to the McAfee, it is the security scan plus. I removed it from the Add/Remove programs but when I try to then uninstall after the reboot it tells me it can't find the uninstall.exe

I completed the clean boot and it didn't change anything. Still takes nearly 4 minutes to boot up with only Microsoft services running. Now that being said the longest time (2+ minutes) comes after the log in. After putting in the password I will get the Welcome and then after about a minute the screen goes black and then after another minute or so the boot up will complete. I'm not sure if this information tells you anything or not but I thought I would include it.

Again thanks for the help rainforest123,

Jim

6. rainforest123

rainforest123

Do you mean safe mode?

If not, boot to safe mode & test.

RF123

7. HillBillyJim

In safe mode it will boot up in under 30 seconds with only the Microsoft Services running. If I boot up in normal mode it takes 3+ minutes with only Microsoft Services running.

8. rainforest123

rainforest123

Good to know.

Now, follow the steps in the clean boot troubleshooting guide.

edit:
    In safe mode, only W7, its registry & generic drivers are running [ not completely true because occasionally, some anti virus or other anti malware program partially run in safe mode ]

Make extensive lists or create screen shots.
    Don't rely on, for example: "the 1st 3, then items # 7 & 28 ] because the order will change. Don't ask me. I wasn't in the meeting. :D

end edit

RF123

9. HillBillyJim

OK, I just want to clarify something. By doing a clean boot I am disabling all other services except the Microsoft ones and not letting any programs start up right? Shouldn't I see a much faster boot when I restart the computer after doing this? I'm not. It still takes 3+ minutes to boot up.

I thought the reason for a clean boot was to find out what else (other than Microsoft services) could be causing the slow boot. If that is the case then even with only Microsoft services running at start up and no programs running at start up I am still experiencing long boot up times. Does that make sense rainforest123?

10. rainforest123

rainforest123

MY method
    1. Services tab
    left click "hide all Microsoft services"
    Left click "disable all services"
    This will leave the Microsoft Services running

Startup tab
    Left click "disable all"

REboot

If the problem occurs, it is caused, most likley, by a driver that was disabled during "safe mode".

If the computer is slow after doing the above,
    Set the computer to normal mode.
    Reboot
    create a system restore point
    Device Manager
    Disable NOT uninstall the graphics driver
    Reboot

Test

Same problem?
    Enable graphics driver
    Reboot
    Create system restore point
    Disable ethernet adapter

yada yada yada
    Same problem
    disable wi fi adapter

yada yada yada

Same problem?
    Disable audio adapter

yada yada yada

Beyond that, I don't think I feel comfortable advising at a distance.

I hope you understand.

No offense is intended.
    RF123

11. HillBillyJim

So I am in the process of checking the drivers. I assume I have to check every driver in the device manager. This could take a while :(

Believe me rainforest123 no offense taken. I appreciate all the help you are giving me here.

12. rainforest123

rainforest123

I mentioned ONLY the graphics, ethernet, wi fi & audio drivers.

I do NOT recommend the disabling of ANY other devices in device manager.

RF123

13. HillBillyJim

No worries rainforest123,

I didn't disable any other drivers than what you suggested. Unfortunately that didn't fix the slow boot. Thank you very much for your time and help trying to fix this issue. I will leave it like this until the situation worsens and she wants to do a clean reinstall.

Take care,

Jim

14. rainforest123

rainforest123

Reformat & re-install will not solve the problem is caused by hardware, or if the problem is caused by a driver, or other software that is re-installed.

Keep us posted.

RF123

15. rainforest123

rainforest123

If a problem occurs in safe mode, it can be caused by ONLY corrupt Windows installation; corrupt registry; hardware malfunction; virus or other malware.

Root kit malware will survive a re-format & re-install.

BIOS based malware will survive a replacement of any part, other than the motherboard.

RF123

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086416

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice