1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 SP1 Wireless Network "Limited Access" after Windows Update

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ShalaMala, Apr 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ShalaMala

ShalaMala Thread Starter

Hello.

During my lunch pause at work I'm connecting the open public wireless network run by a Cisco router. When I open my browser I have to just click on "Next" to authenticate and after some minutes when the session expires, the same page used to show again and I prolonged the session just by clicking on "Next".

But now after a Windows update I'm getting a "Limited Access" on wireless network connection every time the session expires. I have to disconnect and reconnect every time to get the authentication screen and after a month like this is getting really frustrating, especially because some pages reset after doing this procedure and I lose my work. My colleagues continue to enjoy the Internet like they used to, so nothing changed on the router's side.

I tried a lot of proposed solutions suggested on several forums and after following all the steps in the most complete guide found on your forum:
    http://forums.techguy.org/networking/1058284-windows-7-wireless-network-limited.html
    the problem is still not solved :(

ipconfig gives me this:
    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : XXXXXX.org
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.251.XX.XXX
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.248.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.251.16.1

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Ethernet adapter VirtualBox Host-Only Network #2:

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::2c3a:2340:e811:753b%17
    Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.117.59
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

C:\Windows\system32>

Anybody willing to help?

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

send me a copy and paste from the cmd window of
    ipconfig /all

please

Are you in California - Marina Del Rey area I think it is called

3. ShalaMala

ShalaMala Thread Starter

A reply? Already? Whooohoo! :D
    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Asus
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : XXXXXX.org

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : XXXXXX.org
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8187 Wireless 802.11b/g 54Mbps
    USB 2.0 Network Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 0E-D7-A8-D5-4A-12
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.251.XX.XXX(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.248.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 26. april 2015 21:53:57
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 26. april 2015 22:53:57
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.251.16.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 1.1.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.251.XX.X
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 90-E6-BA-A9-CC-74
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter VirtualBox Host-Only Network #2:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter #2
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 08-00-27-C4-57-EA
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::2c3a:2340:e811:753b%17(Preferred)
    Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.117.59(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 470286375
    DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1C-D5-AE-E4-75-AD-75-E7-47-9D

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
    fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
    fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

C:\Windows\system32>

California? Where did you get that from? I have just registered and didn't change the time zone yet (OK, I did it just now). So I'm actually in Europe, but now I censored the DNS Suffix and IPV4 Address as I remembered I might not be allowed to post my company private information online :S

4. Macboatmaster

go control panel, network and sharing centre
    on left pane click change adapter settings
    on the main window, right click the wireless adapter, click properties
    select IPv4
    click properties again

see my screenshot please
    are you configured automatically for IP and DNS and/or whatever is shown is it within your knowledge that this is as should be

I presume you are obviously NOT at the location that is causing connection problems and I am sure you are aware that attempting solutions, when you are not is difficult.

Have you compared your settings with colleagues in the office

Normally the situation you describe is either a driver change for the wireless adapter which of course unless you have configured windows updates NOT to include DRIVERS could well be the cause, but I would have expected that to effect your network at home
    There have been instances where the security level eg WPA2 etc - that is right click wireless adapter click status and then wireless properties - has also been changed ad that may be the cause of the problem

Attached Files:

5. ShalaMala

ShalaMala Thread Starter

I have both IP and DNS set to automatic, and my colleagues have the same settings and two of them are also using Win 7. Actually there are no special settings to set - it should all work on automatic out of the box, as the Internet access is intended primarily for customers. I have reset everything (even services) to default following the instructions in the link in my first post and uninsulated + reinstalled the driver, but no-go :S

I'm at my workplace (gas station) right now, as I'm working the night-shift and as it's Sunday there are almost no customers and I have some time to test things out ;)

I performed Windows Update at the workplace and it would update drivers. However if I check the history the last three updates are: KB3035583, KB890830 and KB3032359. The previous updates were made 7 days before, so I assume if one of the previously installed ones would be causing the problem I would have noticed it.

I was suspecting that the problem could also not be caused by an update as I have been messing with the Windows Firewall on those days. I was trying out both "Windows 8 Firewall Control" and "Windows Firewall Notifier" - but after I have disabled those programs and reset everything to default following the steps in the previously linked post. So I presume I could safely exclude the Firewall being an issue... or no?

There is no WPA2 authentication. The netowork is open and I asked the tech-guy who came to check some things and he explained to me it's just a Cisco router "level 3" or something authentication working by a redirect of the first request to a custom log-in page, where I just click "Next". Actually there is no protection - it's just to make sure random connecting devices don't connect to the Internet without the user interaction and to disconnect devices that are hanging on-line for too long (like us during our lunch pause ;) )

I have tried to connect to another open network in another place, with same automatic settings (but not even a basic authentication required) and everything works just fine. Also on my workplace it works just fine until the session expires.

I thought it might be something with the router not liking my MAC address (maybe my boss not wanting me to hang online too much :p ). So I took the effort and even changed the MAC, but the problem still persists.

6. Macboatmaster

I thought the OS was Windows 7. However be it that or be it "Windows Firewall Notifier" - and despite you disabling them I would think it is favourite

Strange is it not that this update
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/3032359

the last of the three you list includes some manner of a fix for problems routing through Cisco, but it does not purport to apply to your circumstances

7. ShalaMala

ShalaMala Thread Starter

"Windows 8 Firewall Control" is just the name of the program - but it works with Windows 7 also. Both those programs are just an user interface for the Windows Firewall with additional enhancements for outbound connections. They mess with Windows Firewall settings and if you don't reset the configuration back to default before disabling them, they leave the settings as they are. But I guess that resetting Windows firewall with the "Complete Internet Repair" utility should have solved any potential conflicts.

I didn't find anything written about Cisco in the link you posted. Anyhow, it's an IE update and I don't see how this would affect my Internet connection as I'm using Cyberfox. Do you think I should uninstall that update? Or should I follow their recommandation "The update that this article describes has been replaced by a newer update. We recommend that you install the most current cumulative security update for Internet Explorer."?

8. Macboatmaster

Unless I am missing it, I do not think I knew that,
    If you have not done so I suggest you try connecting with IE

2. I do not know windows 8 firewall control, what I do know is that the Firewall on Window 8 works slightly differently from the firewall on Windows 7.
    That said I have never used any Firewall except the Windows one, and in my experience a lot of these programs, cause connection problems

3. If you are not using IE you will not need either the one you had or the newer one, but they cannot on the evidence be responsible for the problem

I suspect in view of this that the only solution is to try possible fixes whilst you are experiencing the problem
    I think despite the risk, the first aspect is possibly to disable the firewall

SORRY but I cannot help further

9. ShalaMala

ShalaMala Thread Starter

Cyberfox is a faster processor specific optimized build of Firefox with plenty of bloat removed.
    I tried to surf the net with IE already, but it didn't work out.

2. Windows 8 firewall control is just a GUI for a simpler configuration of outbound connections' for Windows own firewall - so actually it's not doing any blocking by itself.
    I tried to disable Windows firewall and the problem still persists.

I tried to apply all the solutions while being at my workplace, but it didn't help.

THANK YOU very much for your help, you have been helpful and suggested some new fixes to try. I'm also out of ideas of what could be wrong, so I will just wait if some other idea pops-up... maybe from another forum member?

10. Macboatmaster

Cheers sorry I could not sort it

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147285

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice