1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 Standard User Account

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by wannagotohawaii, Apr 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wannagotohawaii

wannagotohawaii Thread Starter

I am having problems setting up different user accounts. I have been using my administrator account since I have owned my laptop. However, there are other members of my household that have recently been using my laptop to surf the web and do basically whatever they want on my laptop. This is fine and dandy with me, but I have a lot information and work files on my laptop that I do not want to be harmed or deleted by mistake! So, I decided that I would like to set up different user accounts for each user.
    First I went to the control panel and created a new user account as a standard user. Now when I go to start and select switch user the only options I have are my Adminstrator Account and the Guest Account. The new standard user account is not listed in my options to select. I went back to the control panel to ensure that the new standard user account is listed and it is!
    So, how come there is no option to sign into it?
    I am working on a home network/work group. Is there a step I am missing or am I doing something wrong?
    Thank you in advance for your help!!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't know if it is necessary, but I'd try a reboot before doing anything more.

3. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    Do NOT use switch user, use Logout and then you should see these other account(s). I do not think tha "Switch User" will work until the full account is made. The folders and system settings are completed on the first login of each account.

If you do NOT see them then you did some wrong in making the other account(s).

I normally make one account at a time and then open it up, password protect it and then check it out that the password is correct. Then to another account, but you may need to log out of the standard account to make another account.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/992702

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice