1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 Starter?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Digiman5000, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Digiman5000

Digiman5000 Thread Starter

Can someone explain what windows 7 starter is, and what the limitations are?

I'm on MS website but its not in the comparison grid with Premium, Professional, and Ultimate.

Is there a good webpage that describes the limitations, or can someone post them here?

Thanks.

2. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

3. Digiman5000

It looks like a lot is not available from that chart, what can it do? The only thing I'm not sure
    I understand is 'Fast User Switching'. What does that mean? Also I heard you can only run 3 apps at a time or something like that.

Is it sold with the assumption the person will want to upgrade, or is it a stripped down version meant to be run permanantly on low-spec computers like tablets and netbooks?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yes.

5. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Fast User Switching lets you switch to a different user account without having to close all of your applications and log off. On Starter, you have to close and log off.
    There used to be a 3-app limit, that restriction has been removed:
    Microsoft sees sense, kills "three app limit" on Windows 7 Starter edition

I think it was intended for low-end netbooks that would be used for basic tasks and would not be upgraded, but many High end netbooks are now as powerful as full sized laptops from just a year or so ago. All depends on what features you want and what you can do without.

6. antech

antech Banned

7. Digiman5000

Some of the limitations don't seem like that big of a deal, does anyone have any first hand experience using Windows Starter, what don't you like about it, what makes you say I have to upgrade?

8. antech

antech Banned

I am a heavy user,so I consider using the Ultimate Edition.
    It has more features like the Aero theme,snipping tool and psr.
    Its worth a shot.
    Bitlocker is an addition to important documents.
    Media center has been greatly improved and Backup options are a huge improvment.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918106

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice