1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 suddenly refuses to start

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Elysia25, Nov 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elysia25

Elysia25 Thread Starter

Hello everyone,

I have a laptop, Acer aspire 7001, and it runs on Windows 7. It ran fine for a year, but a couple weeks ago I dared to install windows updates. There were a lot of them, including SP1. I restarted, but suddenly windows wouldn't open. I managed to start in safe mode and found SP1 wasn't installed correctly. I removed it, ran a couple scans (antivirus, malware, register) and restarted. Still windows won't start in normal mode. A memory scan found nothing wrong. CHKSDK finds nothing. Startup Repair sometimes says "restart to finish", and sometimes "cannot repair". I have written down every startup repair error report.

I tried to use Windows Recovery, but found all restore points had been removed! Furthermore, I tried to use the windows 7 cd, but the laptop refuses to read the CD. It's not just with the windows cd (which works on other computers). The BIOS recognizes the CD reader, but it seems unable to read cd's. So I'm guessing there's a hardware problem there.

I don't mind not being able to read cd's, but not being able to use my normal windows mode is ofcourse unbelievably annoying.

I'd guess there's a problem with a driver somewhere. I surfed all over the net, but none of the solutions I found worked. I found sptd and "Security Processor Loader Driver" show an error code 24 (not present). I removed sptd and reinstalled it (this didn't work for SPLD), and now after restarting several times in safe mode, windows keeps showing "preparing to configure windows". Starting in normal mode shows a BSOD. I also tried to update my video drive (nvidia Geforce Go 6100 TurboCache) but automatic updating ofcourse doesn't work in safe mode and on the internet I can't find the right driver (it's always either Geforce 6000 or Geforce Go 7000).

I'm at the end of my wits. Can anyone offer any advice on what more I can try? Anything I need to provide, let me know, I'll give it asap. And thank you in advance!

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise, 32 bit
    Processor: Mobile AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3400+, x64 Family 15 Model 76 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 1790 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce Go 6100, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 42162 MB, Free - 8619 MB; D: Total - 34153 MB, Free - 4089 MB; H (external): Total - 305242 MB, Free - 162218 MB;
    Motherboard: Acer, Myallm
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

2. mvirata

mvirata

Sounds like you did a lot. Did you back up all of your files so that you could do a reinstall without losing anything? Also, are you able to do a hard drive diagnostic? I'm not familiar with Acer but I know some companies put a diagnostic tool which usually can be activated by hitting one of the function keys at boot up. Since you can't boot into your system, a third party hard drive diagnostic tool won't help you until you at least get an OS on there.

A bad HD can cause a lot of strange problems that can initially appear to be virus/malware related. Even if you managed to reinstall Windows I would make sure to do a diagnostic so you don't continue to have problems in the future.

edit: I should also add that corrupted Service Pack installs can also hose the system, which, in most cases, is best remedied by a re-install. Hopefully some others here can provide other options.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "Enterprise" implies a business. If you do not have an IT department to work this please explain. And why would you go a year or more w/o Windows updates?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026300

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice