1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 Temporary user (profile corrupted)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by aftershock7, Nov 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aftershock7

aftershock7 Thread Starter

Hello!

I had taken apart and dusted my PC yesterday, and upon starting it back up my main profile seems to be corrupt. When I attempt to log into it, Windows places me into a temporary user instead. I have wracked the internet for solutions and tried almost everything I have come across. This includes:

-Changing the registry values for the correct profile (removing .bak) and restarting PC

-Deleting the registry value for the correct profile and restarting the PC to attempt to recreate the profile (It still logged me into a temporary)

-Copying the entire profile (without hidden user files residing in main user folder like ntuser.dat, .log, .ini) to a new profile and restarted PC

-Running a chkdsk in safemode (did not fix anything), along with a sfc/scannow afterwards

I have come to the end of my rope. I do not know or understand what needs to be done at this point to restore my profile. I desperately need all the files on my profile and drive, so I do not wish to reformat my PC.

The only next possible step I can see for myself is make a copy of the profile I am trying to save, and then delete the original from the users folder. Then I would restart the computer and try to log into that account so that it is remade, and paste the old contents of the profile into the newly made 'same' profile. However, I am unsure of what results this would yield so I am afraid of going through with it.

I'm capable of providing any information about my machine or things I have or have yet to try; I am so ready to solve this issue but disheartened from numerous failures.....

Thank you.
    Robby

2. aftershock7

aftershock7 Thread Starter

After trying most of these again, I feel like all I can do is create a new profile and migrate the old profile to the new account. Is there specific steps I need to take to do this correctly? I have made the new account, and will just paste/merge the old account into the new account?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1160824

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice