1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 Thoughts

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by lschul, Oct 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

I just got my Windows 7 upgrade CD in the mail today. Are there any issues I need to be aware of before I install 7? What is the latest word on the stability and functionality?

2. Koot

Koot

3. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

My best advice is to back up important data, and run the W7 upgrade advisor before upgrading.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/upgrade-advisor.aspx

Its like anything else, the ones that have no issues rave about it, those that have issues complain.

Personally I like it a hundred times better than Vista.

4. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

looks like my system passed, plus it was offered when I bought a few months ago. Thanks

5. cooldep

cooldep

I have a 3 year old Dell Dimension E-510 running XP Pro that had no problems with "Custom" install. Really quite stable and crisp. Plenty of Drivers on my copy of W-7 to get me rolling very nicely. Fav so far, it boots in like a minute and a half compared to a lifetime with XP.
    Good Luck all, go for it!
    ~Paul

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

More Complaints >>> http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproui/threads

If you can .. I'd suggest installing W7 on its own HDD ... and give it a test run before you decide.

I'm still trying to figure out why they removed Mail ???
    You choice is now .. another mail App .. or M$'s downloadable Web based mail app.

7. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

I wouldn't judge Windows 7 based upon forum posts dated before October 2009. Many people were running the beta, RC and torrent versions.

Also, if upgrading from XP the user interface is considerably different. So people complain in forums this or that doesn't work, which in many cases it works fine (they just didn't figure out yet how to make it work).

Still formulating my opinions, but so far Windows 7 is looking good.

8. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

I've had the released version from M$ for about a month now ..
    and all the complains I've seen (and understand ??) are still valid.

I've seen a sneak preview of a bunch of updates that are supposed to be available soon ...
    But I've been waiting till I could get them from M$.
    I doubt that these will fix any functionality problems .. But we'll see.

As far as Speed .. It seems that as M$ moved from Beta > RC > RTM .. the slower it got.
    AVG seems to be causing me some minor response time problems.

I still think it's a little early to Cut and Run.

It depends on where you're coming from ...
    Vista removed some good tools from XP ... and Windows 7 has removed some more.

9. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

I thought Vista had added a ton of programs over XP...

My biggest complaints with 7:
    Vista Looked Better
    Is it me, or has Print Screen been axed? The clipping tool is no good!
    #1 Concern, people think its a fix for their Vista. If Vista didn't work for you, neither will 7.

10. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Just Toys n Gadgets ... Not Tools.
    The Newer M$ gets .. The more it looks like my Gsons Toy box .. as compared to my Tool box :D

Depends on what the users complaint was about Vista.

11. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

DVD Maker, Start Search is the best thing MS ever made!
    7 gets a native .iso burner...

I say it doesn't matter. If they complained about Vista running slow on an aging machine, no difference. Lack of drivers, same story. XP games running slow, again no noticeable difference.

What astounds me is how bad XP was at launch, and people complain about Vista?

Oh well... 7 is great, but so was Vista. and My Vista x64 was snappier than XP because I never had to run a Firewall on top of a AV, and then scan it and clean it... XP might have chugged CRYSIS faster than Vista, but as a light gamer, overall useability is much preferred. Vista/ 7 will both eventually be old news, and any computer bought will make light work of them.

12. grillinman

grillinman

I disagree with the comment of "if vista didn't work for you than neither will 7." I had Vista, hated it, switched back to XP, waited patiently for 7, now I love 7. I think that the experiences will vary depending on personal expectations and the like. Some will love it, some will hate it, most will be in between those extremes.

13. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

So my question to you, what difference did you find?

14. grillinman

grillinman

In Vista I was always waiting for thing to load for way too long. Whether it was simple things like internet browsing (opening the browser seemed to take a while), or more intensive things like gaming, I was always waiting for programs to load. Typically once a program had eventually loaded thing would run smoothly but the load times were unlike anything I had experienced since WinME and seemed a lot unnecessary.

Doing the same things in 7 so far seem to be much faster than Vista or XP and very smooth. Maybe it's better memory management, maybe it's a fluke thing, I don't know but I will pick 7 over Vista any day.

15. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Clean install both times? Same system, both the same x86 or x64?

I see no noticeable speed difference on my machine. One thing I do see is that in Vista it seemed like when I did something it did it in steps like Windows of old. In 7 it seems like they have tweaked everything to delay so that you see nothing until it does it all at once. Similar to the way OSX works. If you start a big task, nothing seems to load until it all pops open, and 7 seems to do the same.

My personal feelings, if you have Vista no need to upgrade for 99% of users. If your on XP, stay there unless you need more than 4GB or RAM, or you have a beefy system.

Start search is worth the upgrade to Vista or 7 IMO.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/871917

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice