1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 to XP

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Steve Murray, Dec 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Steve Murray

Steve Murray Thread Starter

Having bought myself a netbook and registering it online the OS changed from Win XPto Win 7 starter eddition.
    Now several weeks down line I find that I just can not get on with Win 7 and want to revert back to XP.
    Also doing some research I find that the folder where the details of the old system is not present.
    The netbook (Samsung N210P) does not have a cdrom type drive so my usual method of wiping the hard drive with Acronus and then doing a clean install of XP seem to be a non starter as i suspect that the wipe will work fine, but the reboot with the cdrom drive atatched via usb may not work. Any advice on how to get round this short of removing the harddrive and redoing it on another pc, which I have done before.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Buy an external usb type cd drive. I have an asus netbook and I use this once in a while. The very first thing I did when receiving the netbook was to wipe the drive and clean install win7 home. This gets rid of all of the bloatware that the mfg installs.

A usb external is all of $25 after MIR at the egg.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135217

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

One other item. You do need to check the mfg's site for xp drivers. If they do not list any, you are wasting your time.

4. prunejuice

prunejuice

If your netbook came with XP on the recovery partition, then restoring the recovery partition image should give you XP back.

Not sure how "registering" Windows online gave you a Windows upgrade...

5. Steve Murray

Steve Murray Thread Starter

I don't think registering was the right term. All I did waas enter the serial on the sticker on the back of the unit on the microsoft website and hey presto XP was replaced by Win7. Worst move I could have made I tjink.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think that the right term is "voodoo" or maybe "hallucination." :)

According to this site that netbook comes with Windows 7 Starter pre-installed. And they only have drivers for Windows 7 32-bit.

What am I missing or misunderstanding?

7. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    If it doesnt have xp drivers its going to be futile to try to find them.Im lost too. Ive never heard of registering a computer and have it magically change operating systems and ive registered a lot of new and used ones over the years.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029480

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice