1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7/Toshiba

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by LaurenC, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LaurenC

LaurenC Thread Starter

Hi, glad to find you guys!

My laptop is sticking all the time, I'm a writer and really need it to work properly. My understanding is that the best thing I can do is to backup everything on my Toshiba laptop and have it restore to NEW settings. Two issues -

1.- How do I restore Toshiba to original settings?

2. - How do I save docs, pics etc to Dropbox or other free backup space on web?

Am stuck trying to design a Kindle cover right now and hope the above two actions will allow me to finish the job.

Thank you!

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Usually to revert back to out-of-box settings, a laptop has a recovery partition which you can press a key to activate during boot up. What is the model name and number ? I could try and dig up to manual for it to find out which key to press.

You can also save your documents to a USB flash drive. They are not expensive. I don't trust dropbox and cloud storage mainly for privacy reasons.

3. kanaitpro

kanaitpro Account Closed

a quick search turned up several links on dropbox, i didn't go too far in, but when you transfer something to dropbox, it's there until you transfer it back. as far as how to restore the toshiba, the easiest way is to obtain the manufacturers discs. they used to ship with a computer but that doesn't help now does it? if it's under warranty, they'll send them to you for free, otherwise expect ro pay for them. or you could get a windows 7 disc and use the code from your laptop. i haven't tried that myself, always had bulk license keys, but i did read documentation that it works. if it does, that will help rid your computer of bloatware as well.

4. LaurenC

LaurenC Thread Starter

Thankyou! It's a ToshibaPSK2CU- 01E001, Satellite - L655 - S5072.

I have a USB in storage, don't know how to use them. Even though I don't like the idea of a 'public' backup I would use it now - I could always restore stuff to my laptop later couldn't I?

5. kanaitpro

kanaitpro Account Closed

you want to check the dropbox website to be sure. as far as using usb drives, just insert them into the usb slots on your laptop, open computer and then choose the removable drive and drag and drop things into the window, or right click on folders/files and choose send to flash drive

6. LaurenC

LaurenC Thread Starter

Thanks! I don't have the USB here or a disk, have the Dropbox on desktop but not sure howto use it, guess I should look. Do I have to transport each element one by one into it?

7. Rearden

Rearden Banned

With a free Dropbox account, you get 2GB of online storage. Whatever you copy into the Dropbox folder on your computer gets copied to your account online. If you're just starting to copy files and folders into the Dropbox folder, you need to wait until everything is uploaded before you format your hard drive and reinstall Windows.

8. LaurenC

LaurenC Thread Starter

Thanks, I just opened the Dropbox icon on my laptop and tranferred the Pictures, Documents, Videos to the right of the box, does that mean that everything is now saved out of my computer? Not sure how to go to Dropbox online, will try now.

9. LaurenC

LaurenC Thread Starter

I just went into my Dropbox account online and nothing was saved, I don't understand this? Help please?

10. Rearden

Rearden Banned

All of the data in the Dropbox folder on your computer has to be uploaded to the Internet to Dropbox's servers. That's going to take some time depending on your upload Internet connection speed. It could take a couple of hours.

11. LaurenC

LaurenC Thread Starter

Thanks, how do I upload from Dropbox to internet? Sorry I have no idea.

12. Rearden

Rearden Banned

It happens automatically. You just have to wait.

13. LaurenC

LaurenC Thread Starter

Thankyou I realise my stuff has moved into Dropbox, how do I clean my Toshiba out, take it to original condition?

It's sticking like crazy and crashes too. Thanks!

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089594

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice