1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 - Force In Place Reinstall?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by SexyTech, Dec 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SexyTech

SexyTech Thread Starter

Is there a way to have Win7 Ultimate x64 to force a reinstall rather than a repair?

Not sure if it's an issue with HDD or what at this point but here's what is going on...

I started getting some BSOD errors, then startup errors reporting bad system files. I tried to have windows do the repairs with the install DVD but it keeps repeating the process and the same errors come back up. I can't figure out how to get the actual Install to start to run a "Repair Installation" like Win2K and XP would do.

It is a single user(single install) license and if I change HDD's, will it let me re-run the upgrade install again without having to call Micro$oft for a new key?

Thanks in Advance!

-ST

2. peterh40

peterh40

First, replace the hard disk. You need a least three component changes before it will need re-activating Windows again.

To do in place repairs, type SFC /SCANNOW (SFC = System File Checker) and it will replace any corrupt files.

More info:
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

With Windows 7 the equivalent of the XP Repair Install is to do an "Upgrade" install. Best to uninstall non-Windows security applications or at least disable them while doing the "upgrade."

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/966312