1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Freezing after start up...

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by hyde6, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hyde6

hyde6 Thread Starter

I know there are a lot of other posts like this one, but I've tried a majority of them and nothing seems to work. I have had problems with this before too and not sure why it comes and goes.
    But anyways, here is what I'm working with.
    -Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    -Asus G73Jh Gaming laptop
    -Flashed bios to allow to current graphics drivers (Needs driver signature enforcement disabled.)
    -Freezes a few minutes after logging in.

I've already tried to do selective start or whatever and disabled everything besides windows drivers.
    Safe mode works.
    Did a system restore as well and that didn't fix.
    I fixed this problem some how last time and my laptop restarted after a few days because or windows update and this happened again. My laptop usually is left on because when it restarts I always get problems like this.

EDIT: I also decided to use your info reporter tool. Here is what I got.
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 30 Stepping 5
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 8110 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 119232 MB, Free - 66691 MB; D: Total - 238458 MB, Free - 58234 MB; E: Total - 337702 MB, Free - 13744 MB; F: Total - 238477 MB, Free - 27336 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer Inc., G73Jh
    Antivirus: AVG Internet Security 2013, Updated and Enabled

2. rainforest123

rainforest123

Hello & Welcome to Tech Guy Forum.

When did the computer last work well? When did the problem begin? Sometimes the exact date is important. What changed; a hardware or software installation or removal; an update to W7 [ check your W7 update history ] or update to your anti malware [ panda Cloud ] or other antimalware program / programs ]; an update to Java or an Adobe program for example?

Please tell us which things you tried, so we don't waste your time.
    When did that begin?

For how long have you owned this computer? Are you the original owner?

Would you consider yourself to be a beginning, intermediate or advanced computer user?

Which, if any drivers have you updated in an effort to fix this problem?

Try this:
    boot to safe mode.
    In Device Manger, disable the video driver; network - diable LAN / Ethernet & wi fi. [ Are there any other devices in network adapters? ]; sound - disable all items; USB disable all. NOTE, if your mouse or keyboard connect via USB, you will need an alternative method.

Which, if any diags have you run?

The information you provide, the sooner will we be able to help you fix your computer problem.

RF123

3. hyde6

hyde6 Thread Starter

Currently it is working fine again. I'm not sure what the problem is, but I believe it has to do with my mouse and its drivers. Here is what happened.
    I started in diagnostic mode and it fail I got frustrated after dealing with this all day.
    I left and came back to try and talk to ASUS tech support, never helps, but I decided to try it.
    I unplugged the power cord, the battery is left out always because it is a stationary laptop and prevents
    overheating, and unplugged the mouse usb cord and the usb hub attached to it. I had to do this to
    give the serial number on the bottom and they suggested a factory restore... because that's all they
    ever suggest. I plugged it back in and started it up with nothing else plugged in, went to enable boot logging to check the drivers that were loading and then tried to start up the normal way (disable driver signature enforcement). Turns out everything is running fine now, I plugged everything back in and it's still up and running. The mouse is a RAT 9 cyborg or w/e it's called.
    Just wanted to check if that sounds like the issue, that being plugged in on start up?

4. rainforest123

rainforest123

Dear Devin:
    It is difficult to read text displayed wihout being separated by lines.
    That is NOT intended to be a criticism of you as a person.

Thanks for the update.

Currently it is working fine again. I'm not sure what the problem is, but I believe it has to do with my mouse and its drivers. Here is what happened.

I started in diagnostic mode and it fail I got frustrated after dealing with this all day.

I left and came back to try and talk to ASUS tech support, never helps, but I decided to try it.

I unplugged the power cord, the battery is left out always because it is a stationary laptop and prevents
    overheating, and unplugged the mouse usb cord and the usb hub attached to it. I had to do this to
    give the serial number on the bottom and they suggested a factory restore... because that's all they
    ever suggest.

I plugged it back in and started it up with nothing else plugged in, went to enable boot logging to check the drivers that were loading and then tried to start up the normal way (disable driver signature enforcement). Turns out everything is running fine now, I plugged everything back in and it's still up and running. The mouse is a RAT 9 cyborg or w/e it's called.

Just wanted to check if that sounds like the issue, that being plugged in on start up?

Certainly a possibility. Test it for a day or 3.

Because we are not at your computer, we need to rely on your for providing the information.

Keep us posted.

RF123

5. replay

replay

6. rainforest123

rainforest123

If you run Memtest, which is a good idea, please run it for 8 hrs, or until an error apears.

Please also run the W7 mem diag, for at least 8 hrs, or until an error appears.
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/668-system-recovery-options.html

Here's your computer's product support page from ASUS. I don't see a mem diag built into the motherboard. There may be one on the CD provided by ASUS, or your research may uncover a mem diag I did not see.

Run a HDD diag from your HDD manufacturer.
    http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

RF123

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087708

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice