1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 Unidentified Network issue, keeps disconnecting and reconnecting constantly

Discussion in 'Networking' started by acidblood, Jun 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. acidblood

acidblood Thread Starter

Hey all, I found this forum while googling possible solutions to this problem, but with no luck. About a week ago, after getting a new ISP and router, my computer connected fine to the new wireless network (my old ISP was Verizon and we had wireless DSL and my PC had no problems). It went into sleep mode some time later and since then I've been having this nonstop 'unidentified network' problem that I've tried multiple things to fix but nothing has worked so far. It basically drops out the connection and my home network becomes unidentified and doesn't work, and then randomly reconnects and it happens over and over. Sometimes when it connects, it connects to 'NetworkProfile' which seems to be exactly the same as my router's connection so I don't know if that's like a duplicate connection that was made or not. I have no clue.

All I've pinpointed so far is that it's definitely a computer issue. My older laptop (also Windows 7), my iPhone, my dad's iPhone, and even his old Vista netbook can connect with no issues, but with my PC it'll be connected, then some time later it'll disconnect and say the network is unidentified and public. This happens repeatedly. It goes from this:

[​IMG]

To this:

[​IMG]

I also tried connecting to another network, a hotspot created by my iPhone, and it did the same thing, so it's definitely not my new wireless service. Might be a problem between my computer and wireless networks in general.

So I've tried many different things, and nothing has worked. This includes uninstalling and reinstalling my old network adapter, checking for drivers, resetting the IP stack, deleted Bonjour, many things that come up when you google the problem. I even got a new (not too expensive, thankfully) network adapter and it still occurs. It's irritating because this sounds like a very common issue with Windows 7 and even 8 looks like. Was hoping some people could help out and help me pinpoint the issue here because this has been driving me nuts for a long time. My last resort would be to reinstall Windows 7 or do a factory reset but apparently that doesn't fix the issue and knowing my luck, it'd be the same with me.

Thank you to anyone who takes their time to read this and help me.

2. Sponsor

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

would you do the following please
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector
    Download and install

If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC
    Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file to the faulty PC and install the program.
    You will now need to take a screen shot and copy that back to the working PC and attach the screen shot in a reply on the forum here.

If you do not have another PC - do you have a phone connected to the internet - can you photograph the result and post the image in a reply

http://go.pardot.com/l/66982/2015-01-26/2361i
    enter you details
    Download this file "DOWNLOAD WI-FI INSPECTOR Vx.xx "
    ( the site now appears to allow webbased emails like gmail, hotmail, outlook and yahoo now )

There is also a xirrus gadget, But that does not have all the fuctionality "DOWNLOAD GADGET Vx.xx

Alternative links - Use the links below
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Network-Tools/Network-Monitoring/Xirrus-Wi-Fi-Inspector.shtml
    http://download.cnet.com/Xirrus-Wi-Fi-Inspector/3000-18508_4-75758254.html

Then run and install the program - on a wireless enabled PC/Laptop
    if you get an error - You will need to have NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.
    On windows 8 - (i do not have windows 8) but, it would appear that, When you first try to run, you may get a message that .net framework is needed, and included in that message is a link to download/install.

Run the program

A user guide is available here
    http://www.xirrus.com/cdn/pdf/xirruswifiinspectorguide1-2-0

post a screen shot of the program running.
    if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information.

post which SSID name is yours, its located in the list, under network "Adapter Name" (1st column)

Note:
    For a reliable (or robust as the Xirrus user guide says) wireless connection you need a signal of about -70 dBm or better. "A desirable signal level for a robust Wi-Fi connection will be green".
    note: the signal level is a negative number, so for example -88 is worst and -40 is better

To post a screen shot of the active window.

Windows XP
    Hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application (Start> All Programs> Accessories> Paint) and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.

Vista or Windows 7
    you can use the "snipping tool" which is found in Start> All programs> Accessories> Snipping Tool
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-use-the-windows-snipping-tool/

Windows 8
    you can use the snipping tool > Open Snipping Tool (From the Windows 8 Start Screen, type "snip" and press enter.
    >Press the Esc. key.
    >go back to your Windows 8 start screen - Swipe from left or press Window Button
    >Press Ctrl+PrntScr button to use Snipping Tool
    see here
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/opinion/windows/3415854/how-take-screenshot-in-windows-8/
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/3405830/how-take-screenshot-in-windows-8/

To upload the screen shot to the forum, open the full reply window ("Go Advanced" button) and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
    Full details are available here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Posting_a_Screenshot

4. acidblood

acidblood Thread Starter

Thanks. Here's the screenshot of the program running. My network name is ARRIS. The signal seems to be fluctuating between 69 and 72. I reset my router this morning before work and now I've been using it on the PC with the issues and it seems to be working ok. I've been using it for about an hour and no disconnects yet *knock on wood*. My phone seems to have a slow/droppy connection. My dad reported that his netbook's connection is running slow but dunno if that's related. I'll post again if there's any problems but take a look at the screencap if there's anything weird. Could be the router after all, who knows.

Attached Files:

5. acidblood

acidblood Thread Starter

Pardon the double post but I have an update.

A couple people told me to change the router's channel. Originally it was set at 11 and I tried different ones and the fastest one appears to be 3. So I managed to speed the connection up. It was working on my PC okay but dropped out once. Basically only certain devices were able to get an internet connection while hooked up to the network, so I'm thinking it could be that our router can't handle multiple devices connected to it (a similar thing happened to us with Comcast like 5/6 years ago and we had to get a new router from them).

I'm relieved to know that it's not my computer at fault, but it's probably the router. However I'm not 100% sure. I can upload more screenshots I took of Xirrus during certain periods (ex. when my PC was unable to access internet, when I changed the channel to 3, etc) if that sounds good.

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

Yes, that would be good
    But you are right on the limit of a robust connection
    -70 is the limit
    and with the figures above, you would not have a robust connection

Also the wireless signal is changing - it should be a straight ish line

Where is the router located ?
    does it have aerials ?

sometime moving the aerials through 90degress and/or the router a couple of feet can make a lot of difference

As far as channels are concerened

channel 1 and 6 and 11 do not overlap
    you have some week signals on channel 6
    so i would try using channel 1 or channel 11

3 and 6 overlap and its possible the Belkin SSID may interfere,although they are week - But maybe much stronger near one of the other devices in a different part of the house

7. acidblood

acidblood Thread Starter

The router is in the living room which is very close to everything else (our router from Verizon with our previous awful DSL connection was farther off but had a good signal). It doesn't have an aerial. I's an Arris DG1670A Touchstone Data Gateway we're leasing from our ISP RCN and I looked it up online and there's a load of negative reviews and even people who work for ISP companies saying the router has problems. I believe it's a combination router/modem as well. I'm convinced that it just happens to be that this thing is a hunk of junk and we should get replacements and take the leased router off the bill.

Was looking at these, what do you think?

http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-DOCSIS-Cable-Modem-5341J/dp/B0063K4NN6/

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WR841N-Wireless-Router-300Mpbs/dp/B001FWYGJS/

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

i dont really have a recommendation, mostly work with
    Netgear, TP-Link, Edimax, D-link or BT and Talktalk routers
    I have not heard of zoom, maybe a US model

I guess you need to make sure it will work ok / compatible with Verizon and will support the speed,

if that screen shot was in the same room with the router - then there is an issue with the wireless

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1149651