1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 - Unresponsive PC

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Tugger12, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tugger12

Tugger12 Thread Starter

Hi, bought a Dell Inspiron 560 desktop in May 2010 which came with all the bells & whistles. Runs off Windows 7 (64 bit). It's never been particularly good and not very quick considering it's high spec but I've had a big problem with it over the past month; web pages are not fully loading a majority of the time and I can't download simple updates or other bits of software. I've ran updates on the Nvidia card, disabled the firewall and virus protection (McAfee) and ran it in compatibility mode / view but still no good. I thought it was a problem with IE8 and when I changed the view / mode to IE7 in 'Developers Tools' on the 'Tools Menu' the pages appeared to load correctly. However, this was only a temporary fix as when you close IE it defaults back to IE8 settings. It won't run javascripts (JS) either, yet has java enabled and built into IE8 as an Add-on ?

I can't force any new Windows Updates as it keeps failing and noticed that a majority of the Windows Updates downloaded had 'failed' at installation ? I tried a Windows Restore back to a working point but, again, this did nothing. I got fed up as I couldn't load web pages and couldn't download any info or updates so decided to wipe the hard drive and reinstalled Windows 7..........which has now made it even worse ??? Pages won't load and I can't download basic things. I'm getting error messages upon installation when things do eventually download (Windows Defender Update for example) and such items fail to install. I reinstalled 'clean' without any virus guard installed (still doesn't have an AVG on it now) and the only items kept from the old system was personal folders and files. Could this be a problem with Windows Firewall / Defender ? I disabled both but I still can't download things as a majority of the time Windows blocks them at the end of the download ?

Any ideas ? Thanks

Phil

2. mel8again

mel8again

Wiping the drive and reinstalling was done via recovery disks, recovery partition? The computer is fairly new and you should be dealing with Dell directly. I looked up the model you give and found it not to be as you described. If it is the Intel model it has a basic Celeron cpu or a basic AMD cpu. They are about at low as you can go on the cpu chain.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970166

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice