1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 Update and Now I Cannot Connect

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by tonyawills, Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tonyawills

tonyawills Thread Starter

On Tuesday morning Windows did an automatic update. When my PC rebooted it could no longer connect to the Internet. I have worked with Dell hardware support and have identified it is not a hardware issue. They will assist in fixing the software conflict for $299. I have been troubleshooting all week and am at a dead end. Here is what I know and have done -

Yellow exclamation on network system tray icon -
    Device Manager shows No problems with Network Card -
    % other computers in house and all are working fine -
    Router has been reset 100 times -
    Switched LAN cables -
    Reset winsock and IP sockets -
    Did system restores back to December 2010 -
    Booted in Safe Mode and reset IP and sockets -
    Cannot see Home network or connect to Internet -
    Disabled all Firewalls -
    Set my own IP addresses instead of automatic

I have tried everything I have read on every message board and I am still in the same position I was on Tuesday morning - no Internet and no Connection -

If any one has any ideas I will name my first born after you - boy or girl and they will have to suffer consequence if they are not the correct gender as your name.

Thanks for your help.
    Glenn

2. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    Assume no harware problem (Dell?)
    You did a system restore and there was no change!
    I suspect that, after the system restore, Windows update, by default, reloaded a later adapter automatically, which is incompatible.
    Look in the Device manager and right clcik the adapter - Properties -. Driver tab. See if you can "roll back" the driver.
    If this works, go to "System" in the Control Panel. Then Advanced System settings" (over on the left)

Select the Hardware tab.and then Device installation Settings. Select "Never install..etc.
    This will prevent a recurrence.

3. tonyawills

Thank you for your response. When I looked under the Driver tab the Roll Back Driver option is greyed out. That is what makes no sense. If they did not update or overwrite the driver why would it not work??? I cannot replace the Network Card since the Dell network card is part of the motherboard. I am wondering if it is worth me purchasing a new network card and then trying to disable the integrated network card - is that even possible?

Thanks

4. davehc

First Name:
    David
    What is the model of the adapter? I think we may find the original, older driver for it, between us. (or the Dell computer model)

5. tonyawills

Under Device Manager/Network Adapters it is listed as Intel(R) 82567LF-2 Gigabit Network Connection.

Under Properties the Driver Date is listed as 8/18/2008.

Under Driver File Details - C:\Windows\system\32\Drivers\e1y60x64.sys

Is this what you are looking for is there another name you need?

Thanks Glenn

6. tonyawills

I am sorry I forgot one thing you ask for - Dell Computer Model - Studio XPS Desktop 435MT.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

Thanks again for trying to help.

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the current driver for it at the Intel site.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

8. davehc

First Name:
    David
    No. That was plenty of info. problem is that it does seem to be the best driver avalalable.
    There were a lot of hits,saying this is a source of malware, but I don't think you need to go there - yet.
    Maybe s member with an idea can step in to this thread. I would suggest
    1. Uninstall the adapter and reboot with your Install DVD in place, in order to attempt a reinstall. or
    Uninstall the driver and , in the options, select a search of the internet for a possible better driver.

9. tonyawills

Thank you for the new drivers.

I have installed them and rebooted the machine and still are unable to connect.

I also scanned the computer using McAfee and found no malware it recognized.

Under the properties of the new drivers there are some utilities that were not apparent in the 2008 older versions -

I ran a Hardware Test on the card and everything passed minus Loopback but I was not expecting that to work.

I ran the Cable Test and everything passed.

I ran the Connection test and was told the adapter is configured to obtain an IP address automatically but no DHCP server is present so it is evidently not seeing my router.

Again, under Device Manager the card is appearing to work properly however my System Tray icon has the yellow exclamation mark.

Any suggestions on what to try next???

Thanks Glenn

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If installing the current driver and resetting the modem and router isn't resolving the connection problem, then I really don't know what else to advise you.

You might want to click "Report" and then request to have your thread moved to the NETWORKING section. There are some knowledgeable people there who can help you.

------------------------------------------------------------------

11. PedroHin

PedroHin

I am wondering if the McAfee (is that your scurity package?) firewall driver has munged up.

I don't know how much time, or how computer savvy you are, but you might consider downloading a small Linux distribution, burn it to a bootable CD and see if you get an IP address.

If you cannot do that, the next thing I would try is uninstalling the McAfee if it has a firewall installed with it.

Just my 2 cents

12. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If you decide to get rid of McAfee, download and save McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool 3.5.109.1, then close all open windows first, then double-click the saved tool to run it. Once the removal process is complete, restart your computer. Run the tool again, then restart again.

If you uninstall it the normal way and don't use the tool to remove it, it'll leave a lot of file and registry debris behind.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

First of all finding that MacAfee didn't find malware really isn't saying anything. If I had a quarter for every thoroughly infected pc where MacAfee was still running and scanning finding nothing, I would not have to work.
    You need to rule out malware for real so what I would do is download and install hijackthis on another pc then install to this one and then post the log here in this thread. You may have to use the other pc to do so....then we can get a Malware Pro to read this and tell us for sure. If that fails to show anything, then go buy a pci ethernet card and install it as that is the other answer they aren't expensive at all. I have seen enough situations where the onboard nic card is "munged" but Device Manager still shows it working properly.
    http://free.antivirus.com/hijackthis/
    Use 2.04 version not the beat....

14. tonyawills

Thanks to everyone - I am downloading the HiJackThis and loading on the infected computer.

i will post the log shortly.

Glenn

15. tonyawills

I loaded software and ran it on the infected PC -

It stopped on a line in my Hosts file but then I hit ignore and it continued - I can post the three lines of the Hosts file if you think it will be helpful.

It created a very long log but I was unable to save the log file - kept telling me it created the file but every time I opened it nothing was there -

So I took screenshots of the log and have attached the three screens - if they are too small to read please let me know and I will redo in a larger font.

I am not sure why the log file would not create -

Thanks

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976135

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice