1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 Update error

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by e_piph_a_ny, Dec 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. e_piph_a_ny

e_piph_a_ny Thread Starter

Problem with Windows Update on Dell Vostro with Windows 7.
    The error code 52F was encountered when trying to perform Windows Update. I contacted MS Windows Update Support via email.

They replied with the following:

+++++++++++++

Step 1: Verify the relevant Windows Update services
    =================================
    1. Click the "Start" Button in the "Start Search" bar, type: "services.msc" (without quotes) and press Enter. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    2. Double click the service "Windows Update".
    3. Click on the "General" tab; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the "Start" button under "Service Status" to start the service.
    4. Please repeat the above steps with the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS).

You can also temporarily stop these services, restart the computer, and then start these services again. If any service is missing or cannot be stopped or restarted, please let me know.

Step 2: Rename the Windows Update Softwaredistribution folder
    ================================================
    1. Click "Start", in "Start Search" item, type: "notepad" (without quotes) and press Enter.
    2. Copy the following commands and then paste them into the opened Notepad window:

net stop wuauserv
    net stop CryptSvc
    ren %windir%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.old
    ren %windir%\SoftwareDistribution sold.old
    net start CryptSvc
    net start wuauserv

3. After pasting the above commands, please close the Notepad window. Choose "Save" when you are prompted to save the file. Type "rename.bat" as the file name and choose Desktop from the left panel as the location.
    4. Refer to the Desktop and right click the rename.bat file, then choose "Run as administrator".
    5. You will see a DOS-like window processing.

Please test the issue again and let me know the result. If the issue persists, I will help you check the Internet Connection in our next communication. To clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

++++++++++++++

I still experienced error code 52.
    I furnished screenshot of error message, system information (MSINFO32) and WindowsUpdate.log file.
    They responded with this:

++++++++++++++

After checking the Windows Update log you attached, I also found the following error message during the latest Windows Update process.

-----------------------------

2009-12-12 09:03:21:581 1060 a3c Report REPORT EVENT: {6DE8D7F3-0C31-4720-85B9-EFCBB87103E5} 2009-12-12 09:03:15:872-0800 1 182 101 {34A306D3-5B56-4E94-AF78-42F25F215078} 103 80070643 AutomaticUpdates Failure Content Install Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070643: Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Junk Email Filter (KB976882).

-----------------------------
    the issue was mostly caused by corrupt Microsoft Office installation, I suggest we try the following steps to troubleshoot.

Repair Office Windows Installer sub keys
    ====================================
    1. Please visit following website to download a tool, which can check and repair Office Windows Installer sub keys.

http://www.sbor.com/Docs/OUCPR.zip

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

2. Please unzip the file to the Desktop. Then rename the file OUCPR.ex_ as OUCPR.exe.
    3. Double click the file OUCPR.exe.
    4. If there are any problematic products found, click Unregister to repair.
    5. After launching this tool, please test to install the update package again.

I appreciate your understanding that it may take some time to troubleshoot this issue. I truly hope the problem can be resolved by our mutual efforts. Thanks for your patience and cooperation.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

I replied "I appreciate your assistance but I find it odd that Microsoft is recommending that a consumer with Microsoft Windows Updates errors to utilize a software tool from a very small company located in Wapole, MA.
    Doesn't Microsoft have a suitable in-house software tool to use instead?"

Is this normal behavior???

2. IT-Support

IT-Support

Microsoft programmers are a bunch of lazy [vulgarity removed by mod]. I had a conference call with their IE8 dev team, due to all versions of IE having a problem with a javascript function i wrote and their excuse was that IE is a bit slower than other browsers and that's why it doesn't work. But would refuse to admit there is a problem, though that sounds like a problem to me. So it doesn't suprise me that they haven't written any software to fix their own problem.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Poorly disguised inappropriate language, IT-Support, is still inappropriate language. Please review the forum rules before posting again.

4. IT-Support

IT-Support

Appologies, it wont happen again.

5. e_piph_a_ny

IT Support, I can appreciate your frustration with MS.

But should I follow their recommendation about using third party software tool? After googling the exe file name, it seems to be heavily used without any derog posts.

6. IT-Support

IT-Support

Ok, i've done some googling.

start-> run

type:
    services.msc

click ok.

Find Office Source Engine. Start it if it's not disabled. If it is, right click on it goto properties and the then recovery tab. Choose Restart The Service under first failure. Then start that badboy. This should now let you do the Junk Mail update which you can manually set off under windows updates in control panel. If that doesn't work then take microsofts option.

7. e_piph_a_ny

Problem solved.

Unfortunately, IT Support's suggestion did not work as well others divined from googling.

I re-applied MS's 52F fix from their knowledge base, Article ID: 903776. Apparently it was operator error in not correctly following instructions. D'oh!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/885482

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice