1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 updates locked up my computer when installing

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Zarmo, Mar 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zarmo

Zarmo Thread Starter

A few weeks ago, I noticed that I had not done any windows updates for quite sometime. so I picked the MS Office updates, and a few of the windows updates to do them in small segments. It did the download and when it rebooted. it never finished the install and locked up. I even left it over night and still in the same place. So I powered the laptop down even though it said not to.
    Now I can no longer back up my laptop. a lot of my apps on this machine will nto work. including MS Office 2007.
    I have run C cleaner and most if it will not work. I also used the other cleaner program that Carey Holzman recommended. and it too will not run the restore program. Even the program listed at the top of this message to copy my system information will not work. I have tried twice. NOTHING.

any Ideas on just how to fix this?

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Which cleaner program was this ?

Make and full model of the computer please

Which version of windows 7 please
    Home Professional etc

HOW long approx. is quite sometime

Have you run any inbuilt eg with Windows tools such as a chkdsk /f on the drive
    OR a system file check from a cmd prompt

3. Zarmo

Zarmo Thread Starter

Okay, now after another shutdown as all my USB ports quit working. now some things are back. first here it the details on my computer:
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 390 @ 2.67GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 5
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3894 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1723 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 465 GB (285 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0R08PM
    Antivirus: None

Now for the cleaner program I used after C cleaner is Glary Utilities.
    It has been at least six months since that last windows updates were downloaded and installed.
    anything else PLEASE inquire.

4. Macboatmaster

I strongly advise you - for your future information to stay well away from registry cleaners, make it go faster programs, system boosters and the whole host of such similar gimmicks. Such as is Glary Utilities.
    CCleaner - NOT the registry aspect is relatively safe to use on 7, but even that is not the correct approach in your situation

The system info utility - which obviously has now run, does not record an AV in use is that correct please.

As a starting point - if Glary Utilities offers such a procedure with the free edition please cancel the changes it has made and then UNINSTALL Glary utilities from Programs and features.

REBOOT the computer and post back with the reply re the AV

When you reply please type in box that appears after my post not by clicking reply on my post, as that quotes back to me all I have just typed.

Zarmo likes this.
  5. Zarmo

Zarmo Thread Starter

I was also installing a purchased version of Avg program but it will not install. worked for thee days with avg trying to figure it out. they gave up on me. all this was before the cleaner utilities.

6. Macboatmaster

7. Zarmo

Zarmo Thread Starter

wahaoo. I fixed it. using the Glary utility, it had a restore app available where windows and the Ccleaner would not. I restored it back to before I did the update crash. then slowly installed all the updates. and now all is back up and working. Including the AVG installation program.
    Thank you all for all the advice.
    Now I have to fix the sister laptop to this one that I was updating to replace this one when it died. no power, nothing. swapped power cords, no fix. now I think i will swap batteries and see if the battery died. I have removed it and reinstalled it three times with no result. the charge light doesn't light up either. that is why I think its the battery its self.
    thanks all again.

8. Macboatmaster

Cheers
    Mark it solved please
    click mark solved button on your opening post

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1224599

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice