1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows 7 updates

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by fcolgan, Jan 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fcolgan

fcolgan Thread Starter

Mywindow 7 updates will not install after the computer reboots after saying it is installing i get updates failed. I talked to techguru guys online and they said that I had many corrupt files and wanted $119.00 to fix it one time or $299. for a two year contract. While they were remotely using my computer I could see the corrupted 32 bit files in the registry. I dont know if this was true or if it was the reason that the updates do not install. and they said the corrupted files are replicating and will crash my computer. I sounds like a scare tactic to me. is it?
    thanks fcolgan

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

It may well be. It's obvious that you shouldn't spend as much money as a really good, used PC would cost you just to fix something. It sounds like they used a "registry cleaner". There are no files in the registry - the registry is itself a file. So there can be no "corrupt" files in the registry, either. There can be errors, but they are almost always ignorable because they have no effect on the machine. We don't recommend ever "cleaning" the registry.

Is this a new problem? Have you installed updates before?

Please give a narrative of the problem and its development. The make, model, and other data about your machine will help.

Have you tried installing a single update, or installing them one at a time? If you see an update that is itself related to installing updates, install that one first, by itself.

Any other problems with the machine?

3. fcolgan

fcolgan Thread Starter

Thank you for answering me. No I had not tried to install them one by one until you asked and then I tried and it also failed. the error code I get is 80071A90 and 800 70 66 F. there are 41 files waiting to be updated and perhaps they do not all need to update but i dont know the difference in good ones and bad ones, but none will update.
    could corrupted files on my hard drive cause this? And if so h:confused:ow do I get red of corrupted files?

4. huggie54

huggie54

hi is this a xp or windows 7 pc

5. fcolgan

fcolgan Thread Starter

This is a window 7
    cyberpower - AMD Phenom(tm) ll x6 1055T processor 2.80 GHz
    4 GB installed ram
    64 bit op
    1 T hard drive

6. huggie54

huggie54

7. fcolgan

fcolgan Thread Starter

Ok I did this and downloaded the file and installed it but nothing happened; I tried to get the updates again and again they all failed. i tried to attach a file here that shows the failed files. Shall I just give up and leave it alone or what can i do?

Attached Files:

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085101

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice