1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 Upgrade = Fail?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by jab951, Aug 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jab951

jab951 Thread Starter

The Windows 7 upgrade media requires a previous version of windows to be present on the hard drive, and activated in order for the installation to proceed. Meaning if you need to reinstall win7, you would first have to reinstall and activate your old os.

Slightly different topic (but totally related), If you installed the Vista Upgrade the way Microsoft intended, without using the "special workaround", the license key for your previous os would become invalid to prevent you from running more than one copy of windows with an upgrade license.

The Windows 7 Upgrade requires an activated os to be present on the hard drive, so Vista's workaround can't be used with win7. Assuming the win7 upgrade also invalidates your previous license, wouldn't that mean it's impossible to reinstall win7 because you can't activate your old os?

I've been wanting to ask about this for a long time but I kept putting it off, so sorry if this has been answered before.

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Most of these "Upgrade" version all one needed to do was place the OLD version CD/DVD in the player so the install could find it and once it was found or told where to find it, then the new DVD needs to be reinserted and the install would continue.

This would provide for a CLEAN install of the new OS.

3. jab951

jab951 Thread Starter

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I've had the same questions since I ordered my Windows 7 Upgrade. Have just been hoping that by the time I get it somebody will have found a way to do a clean install and reinstall. Maybe after installing (or upgrading) the initial time it will be possible to use vlite (maybe a new 7lite?) to create a new, legal .iso that can be used for future reinstalls.

5. jab951

jab951 Thread Starter

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/853530

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice