1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 - USB device over current status detected - system won't boot with 4Gb RAM

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by MRRennie, Oct 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MRRennie

MRRennie Thread Starter

Running Windows 7 Ultimate with 3Gb RAM ( 2 x 512Mb and 2 x 1 Gb DIMMS ) - system runs perfectly.

Upgraded to 4Mb ( 4 x 1Gb DIMMS ) and system will not boot - error message is as follows :

"USB device over current status detected. System will shut down in 15 seconds"

And it does ! Restored memory back down to a total of 3Gb, and hey presto, all is well again.

I have an ASUS A8V Deluxe motherboard - would a BIOS flash update help solve this problem?

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Possibly would solve the problem, you should see if you can find a data paper on the BIOS upgrade and see if it says anything about correcting a possible problem when all slots (I'm assuming) are occupied or a specific configuration is present. I'm also assuming you mixed the 1 gig sticks several different times or tested them just to help make sure there wasn't a bad stick in the bunch.

3. MRRennie

MRRennie Thread Starter

Thanks to fairnooks for a prompt response - I'll follow up the suggestions mentioned. Yes, I tried all combinations of DIMMS, all four worked perfectly in a variety of combinations until 3 Gb was exceeded. I actually wondered if the word "current" was the key one - perhaps 4 x 1Gb DIMMS draw a fraction more power ?

4. MRRennie

MRRennie Thread Starter

OK, unfortunately it seems I am already running with the lates BIOS so that possible avenue is closed. Any other suggestions out there ?

5. KompressR

KompressR

I found I would get that error with any bios after version 2019. I also have 4 GB in the same setup, so I just stay with version 2019. I never tried removing ram before to see if that affected anything with a later version. I do rememeber reading something once on the topic though, about it being a ground issue of some kind and people removing their mother board from the case and testing it on a safe surface.

Anyways, if none of the problems fixed by later versions of bios affect you, i'd try 2019 or an earlier version.

edit: sorry, i didn't see that it was the deluxe. I'm not sure what version i'd recommend for your board, but on a quick check to the support section of the asus website for your board, it looks like 1017 added this error for over current situations. 1017 also includes a cpu update, so if your decide to try an earlier version, make sure your cpu is still supported.

6. MRRennie

MRRennie Thread Starter

Thanks KompressR - the BIOS I've got installed is 1018 Beta 002 - supposedly the latest for my motherboard. Have had this BIOS for over a year and no problems even after a clean installation of 64-Bit Windows 7. Difficulty only occured when I added the additional memory, after which I checked each chip separately. All worked perfectly until all four were installed ! So I reverted back to three Gb and will continue to trawl for an answer. Thanks again for trying !

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/870728

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice