1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 Virtual machine activation

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mbs6132003, Dec 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mbs6132003

mbs6132003 Thread Starter

I have quite a few old games that worked under Windows 7 but no longer work on Windows 10. Compatibility mode does not work either and I have tried many different combinations with compatibility with no luck. Even the Microsoft utility to help with compatibility fails. What I have done is install my old Windows 7 OS as a virtual machine which went well. Even though I have the original install CD with valid product key, the activation fails. The error says the server does not accept the key even though it is a valid one. I have tried calling Windows support but I am not getting a live person to talk to. When I go thru the support online for Windows 7, it just points me to Windows 10. It's as if Microsoft will not allow me to install an OS which I paid for. I have also sent Microsoft my issue with compatibility mode but I get no response. I am not looking for support for Windows 7 itself I just want to activate it. The good news is that I can run my old games which I have tested since I am in the 30 day grace period to activate Windows 7.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If your Windows 7 is retail you should be able to activate it with a phone call. When you call the Microsoft number for activation I think the technique is to just wait until somebody comes on the line.

Of course, if it is OEM, including OEM System Builders, you cannot transfer the license to another machine, even a virtual one.

3. mbs6132003

It is an OEM ( Gateway ) and I understand what you are saying but I don't agree with Microsofts rules on this. I haven't used the Gateway in years so I should be able to activate it but I appreciate your response. I will ask this then, Why doesn't Microsoft get their compatibility working better. It seems to me that they aren't doing anything to make it work better. I have better luck using WINE on Linux.

Oh well, thanks again.

4. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    Just a suggestion.
    REACTOS is said to be like an earlier Win2k that is supposed to run Win32 apps.
    It's in the alpha stage so it's far from perfect and many Win32 apps either don't run or run with errors.
    https://reactos.org/

Maybe you'll get lucky running it as a virtual OS.
    It's free.

5. mbs6132003

I installed ReactOS as a virtual machine and I confirm it a an Alpha release. It's been around a long time so I'm not sure it will ever even get to a release candidate. Networking does not work period. When I try to install an old version of Myst, nothing happens. As I said previously, this is all on Microsoft for not doing enough on the compatibility mode.

6. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    I understand your frustration with MS.
    Same here, different reasons.

I chose not to upgrade beyond Win 7 for home/office off-line work and use a distro of Linux for Internet connectivity.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1200970

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice