1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 will no longer install on hard drives set to RAID

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Libertytech1776, Sep 22, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Libertytech1776

Libertytech1776 Thread Starter

Hello everyone, I have an older computer that I want to keep windows 7 and take offline using as a mass storage device. The unit was once set to raid 0 which later I set to ACHI using one drive for extra storage and one for Windows. recently I uninstalled Windows and tried to set drives to RAID 1 but now I am getting an error on the Windows 7 setup saying windows cannot be installed to this drive. It then explains computer hardware may not be set up and to check bios settings, but there are no settings that I can see. everything is where it should be. Like I said previously, I have done this A couple times before with no problems. Both drives are recognizable. I used the tools on the DVD to delete and format the drives. when this did not work I used the command prompt diskpart tool to clean both drives but that did not get rid of the error either. The only way this machine will allow me to reinstall windows is if I set it back to non raid which will eliminate the error and give me a choice of one of the two drives for installation, but I would prefer RAID 1..Please Help. Thank YOU!

2. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    You need the drivers for the Raid controller.

Look up the exact board model/make and download the Raid driver to a flash drive. Then when windows reaches the point where it can't see any drives you can browse external media for the correct driver.

3. Libertytech1776

Fireflychp thank you for your response, The thing is the Windows DVD does see the drives. Do I still need the driver? where does this driver get installed? in the Bios or on the drives? I have a huge list of drivers from the Dell website under my service tag number, some which appear to be for the raid controller, but is very confusing. I dont want to install the wrong one and mess things up.

4. Libertytech1776

Is this the screen your referring. where does it give the option to browse external media? 20190923_131541[1].jpg 20190923_131541[1].jpg

5. Libertytech1776

are these the drivers that I need to pre install to enable the RAID controller? 20190923_142059[1].jpg

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Try the top one you have ticked in your post#5 picture, I think if you run the downloaded file it will unzip into a folder, copy that folder onto a Usb stick.

Plug the Usb stick in before you start the install. Then at the screen in post#4 click on 'Load driver' at bottom left and navigate to that folder and it should install the driver.

I'm assuming the drive shown in post#4 is the already set up Raid 1.

7. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    I can't tell by that pic which is the correct driver. However, if you give me the service tag I can look it up for you. And, as "managed" said, try to click where it says "Load Driver"

8. Libertytech1776

Thanks for your help. Yes it is set up for raid which is the reason only one disk shows.

9. Libertytech1776

the service tag is 8ygtvh1..Alienware area 51 ALX..The motherboard model is ms-7543

10. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    When I enter that tag it will not display the original configuration. Under downloads there are drivers for a Jmicron RAID controller. But I don't know if you have that or if the RAID is on the motherboard. If you can change it in the board Bios, then I'll guess it's on-board.

I'll look around some more.

Funny thing is that the disk does show up. WHich it normally wouldn't if there was no driver loaded. Unless, of course, it's only seeing 1 disk.

What do you get if you click on the Details when you get the can't install message?

11. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Last thing. According to this there should be recovery partition on the disks. Did you create recovery disks before wiping the drives and do you have the support cd/dvd? According to the manual it should contain drivers.

EDIT: I downloaded the first Intel Matrix file. It does contain a driver for RAID, as far as I can tell. However it is an "exe" file so you'll need something like 7-Zip to open it and extract the files to a flash drive.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I do not see in your original post where you booted into the raid bios and created the array. Have you done this task and is the controller set to raid and not ahci?
    You may need to extract the file you download. If the file is in a zip or compressed format, it must be extracted prior to copying it to a flash drive.

13. Libertytech1776

Thank you, Yes it is set to RAID In the bios, and the Intel raid screen.

14. Libertytech1776

Fireflycph, here is the list of every driver on the Dell website that pertains to Serial ATA 20190924_012845[1].jpg

15. Libertytech1776

This list comes up on the Dell website only when you Google the motherboard model number, and not under the service tag number if you can believe that...If I were to set it back to ACHI in the BIOS, it would show both disks.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1233302

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice