1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 will not install

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by moore2cw, Oct 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. moore2cw

moore2cw Thread Starter

I know computers, but do not "know" computers. When it comes to what is going on inside of them I am absolutely clue less so I have been racking my brain all day trying to figure out what is going on.

My internet was running slow today, so I decided to restart. When I restarted my computer booted up, but booted to a black screen, never making it to the Windows 7 login screen. It stayed at the black screen. I restarted multiple times. Checked the BIOS (although I will admit I really don't even know what to do in it). Needless to say I rebooted time after time to no avail. I let the computer run for awhile and it actually started loading the files. I was able to get to the system restore screen but was unable to restore to an earlier point. It gave me a error. I decided to try to reinstall windows 7 since I have backed up most everything on it.

Before I go any further, my machine is:

Gateway NV55C Laptop
    IntelĀ® PentiumĀ® processor P6200 (2.13 GHz, DDR3 1066 MHz, 3 MB L3 cache, 35 W)
    4 GB RAM
    500 GB HDD

Once trying to reinstall I was able to get to the point in which it asked me to select the place to install Windows.

My Disk partitions read as follows:

Disk 0 Partition 1: PQSERVICE - 13 GB (Total Size) - 933 MB (Free Space) - OEM Reserved (Type)
    Disk 0 Partition 2: SYSTEM RESERVED - 100 MB (Total Size) - 70 MB (Free Space) - System (type)
    Disk 0 Partition 3 452.7 GB (Total Size) - 452.6 GB (Free Space) - Primary (Type)

I select the one labeled Disk 0 Partition 3 and the screen gives me an error which says:
    "Windows cannot be installed to Disk 0 Partition 3"

The details read:
    "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu."

This is where I become completely lost. I realize that my disk is probably corrupted and I need to reinstall a new and different driver...but I have no idea what to do and where to go in order to do this.

Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Are you using the disk that came with the machine? If not, you will need a new license to install 7. You already have a copy of 7 on your hard drive for recovery unless you made any changes to the partitions which would have caused you to lose access to it.

But it sounds like you have hardware problems. Test memory first. The hard drive may also be on its way out since all drives fail. Hopefully, you have a recent, full backup. You will need to buy a new copy of Windows recovery disks from the manufacturer if you don't have them and didn't back up your drive (if the drive fails).

MemScope (Floppy and CD images.)
    Roadkil's RAM Test
    Microsoft Memory Test (floppy or CD ISO image)
    Memtest86

If you have enough memory sticks, you can test them by removing one at a time and see if the problem disappears.

If you are running Vista or 7, tap F8 on boot and choose the memory diagnostic, or if you can boot up, go to Start > Search and type:

mdsched.exe

Choose to run a memory diagnostic on next boot. Or, you can boot from the DVD and run it from there.

============================================

If RAM passes, then the drive is the next thing to test.

3. moore2cw

moore2cw Thread Starter

Thanks for a quick reply.

I am not using the 7 disk that came with, but a store bought one that has not been used so hopefully that is not an issue. I definitely think it's a hardware problem as well.

I hope that the hard drive is not on it's way out, this laptop is less than a year old but I guess that may be the case.

I will try pulling out each of the memory sticks and see what happens.

I have been unable to hit F8 and reach the memory diagnostic screen as well.

Thanks for your response, I'll update on what happens when I take the memory out.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

You can't use a retail version of 7 on that machine unless you want to start from scratch with a new installation. The product key on the machine is licensed to Gateway and will only work on their version. If you want to install a new version of 7, you need new product key (which may be on the case if you have a new copy of 7).

Just be aware that if you use a non-Gateway disk, you will lose your recovery partition and the copy of 7 that came with the machine. The recovery partition is basically your DVD for that machine.

If all that is clear, and you just want to install a new version of 7 on that machine, then you can do that. But, check your hardware.

Let us know how the RAM test comes out. (You can make a bootable CD to run memtest if you can't test RAM through Windows.)

5. moore2cw

moore2cw Thread Starter

I understand that I will be installing a new version of 7 on the machine, which at this point in time is fine with me.

My question is how do I do the RAM test from those links you provided if I am unable to fully boot up? Can those be run off of a USB drive after I start up?

Thanks for your responses.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you go to the memtest site, they will explain how to make a bootable CD (or floppy for those that still have one).

Removing sticks one at a time is also an easy way if they are large enough to support a boot (it will need probably 512 to boot at all - it would at least start to boot on less and then you would know that the one you removed was faulty, even if the boot could not complete due to too little RAM).

No other tests will work if RAM is faulty, so we need to start there.

After you get the iso image, if you do not know how to burn it as an image, then just use this Standalone ISO Burner (Be sure to check the "Finalize" box.).

7. moore2cw

moore2cw Thread Starter

I pulled out each of the RAM sticks and booted twice trying to install 7 and it came to the same screen as before. I am trying to set up the memtest as well.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Rather than trying to install 7 now, remove the disk and see if the machine will boot normally before you start on the installation.

When you do get to the point of installing, make sure that you remove all the partitions from the drive. Then create a new one. The recovery partition will be inaccessible after you install a new 7, anyway, so you may as well use the entire drive. And it is good to create new partition tables and MBR while you have the chance. So create a new partition the size of the entire drive.

Let us know what memtest says. Stop it if even 1 error, since that is way too many.:D

============================================

You should be able to reinstall Windows through recovery by pressing F11 (or F8) at boot time to boot from your recovery environment. You would not need a DVD and could use the license you already have on the machine, saving the other for another computer since it can only be used once.

9. moore2cw

moore2cw Thread Starter

The mtest came back with no errors. I tried booting but nothing will happen. I am going to go ahead with the windows 7 install.

10. moore2cw

moore2cw Thread Starter

How do I delete all partitions?

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

You won't get far.

You will see an advanced option during setup that will allow you to delete all that is there now. It should be pretty easy to see. But I doubt you will get that far.

Good luck.

You could also press F8 and use your current installation instead of wasting an expensive Windows license.

12. helpful

helpful

By the way it looks like you may have an oem restore partition on your system, 'PQSERVICE'. Why not just use the restore partition to restore your system back to the factory defaults?

I am not sure but the problem may lie in the fact restore partition will have to use custom mbr on the disk, part of the code will store the normal boot code and the other to unlock booting to the restore partition by a special key.

If you really want to install Windows 7 (this will destroy the oem partition), use the diskpart command to clean the disk before installing windows 7.

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

There is no need or reason to use diskpart. It can be done during setup (from which diskpart is not even available).

14. helpful

helpful

15. Elvandil

Elvandil

A new MBR is always created when partitioning is done. That is why recovery partitions are lost when someone partitions a drive.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024740

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice