1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 Will Not Load While Mouse is Plugged In

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by tech.dude, Jan 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tech.dude

tech.dude Thread Starter

I recently installed Windows 7 on my friends computer. After several upgrades to his computer in order to bring his computer up to the Windows 7 requirements, Windows 7 will not load.

It installed fine, but after the bios loads, a weird screen with a multitude of symbols appears for 5 seconds, followed by an eternal black screen.

Strangely though, I have figured out that if I unplug the mouse and restart the computer, it starts fine, but as long as any mouse is plugged in, that screen appears. I have tried both my friends ps/2 mouse, a ps/2 mouse I have and my usb mouse, and when any of them are plugged in, that screen appears. I can start the computer with no mouse and plug my usb mouse in after Windows 7 loads and use the computer this way, but since my friends mouse is ps/2, it has to be plugged in when the computer is started in order to work, but this will cause that screen to appear again.

Computer specs:
    Intel Pentium 4 @ 2.8Ghz
    1.5Gb DDR Ram
    eVga GeForce 9400 GT 1gb PCI Video Card
    Dvd-Rw Drive

What shows up on screen:
    [​IMG]

The bios settings, just incase some incorrect setting is causing this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And I created a thread about this problem a few weeks ago, but somebody keeps posting their problem in my thread, so I have created a new one.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

That looks like a rather old BIOS type; I don't think you see "reset configuration data" on more recent ones -- but try doing just that and reboot. Once done open the BIOS screen again and see that it has returned to "no" -- which should be the default.

You may need to find a BIOS update if available -- but keep in mind a bad BIOS flash can be fatal and you may want to reconsider whether Win7 is the best choice here.

3. tech.dude

tech.dude Thread Starter

I tried that, but it didn't work.

Since Windows 7 didn't work, I uninstalled it and put Windows Vista on his computer, so that he could use it for now. Today, he bought a new hard drive because he ran out of space on his other one. I installed it and set it as the master and his old hard drive as slave (the old one didn't have cable select so...). I tried installing Windows 7 on his new hard drive, but again, it didn't work. It installed fine, but that screen comes up again when the computer turns on. I tried booting to Vista on his old hard drive from the boot menu, but that screen now shows up for Vista too.

Also, I tried disconnecting everything from the computer except for the power cable and monitor cable, but that screen still shows up. Now it seems to have a different cause, because disconnecting the mouse used to solve that problem before.

Any more ideas?

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

So you've updated the BIOS with no change?

The screenshot looks like a bad display card issue. Is there an onboard chip as well as an installed card?

Have you tried changing slots for the card? Or a different card if possible?

5. tech.dude

tech.dude Thread Starter

I didn't attempt to update the BIOS, I only tried resetting the configuration data.

Yes, there is an onboard chip as well as an addon card. It's an Evga Geforce 9500Gt (or a 9400gt, I can't remember) 1gb Pci video card. Before I put the video card in his computer I tested it in mine and it worked fine. I don't see why his video card won't work with Windows 7 though, because my video card is a Geforce Fx 5500 128mb Pci card and it can run Windows 7 perfectly.

I'll try switching the video card to another pci slot and see if that works. If it doesn't, then I'll try my video card in his computer.

6. tech.dude

tech.dude Thread Starter

I tried the video card in all slots and it still didn't work. Also, I tried my video card in his computer, but that screen showed up.

7. tech.dude

tech.dude Thread Starter

I decided to try and install Windows Vista on the new hard drive so my friend could at least have a usable computer, and he could always just upgrade to Windows 7 later without losing any of his files. But now, neither of his dvd drives work. His new dvd burner won't detect the install dvd, and his dvd rom drive wouldn't detect the dvd at first, but after a while, it finally detected the install dvd and loaded it, but then kept giving me an error about a missing file.

Since his computer stopped working after I put the new hard drive in, I tried disconnecting it, thinking that his computer would work and just load Vista off his old hard drive, but that screen still appears. Somehow, after installing the new hard drive and then disconnecting it, I caused his Windows Vista to stop working.

So far that weird multi-coloured screen seems to be his only problem, but now it doesn't seem to have a consistent cause. Unplugging the mouse before used to cause that screen not to show up, but now disconnecting everything but the monitor doesn't do anything. His computer was running Vista fine, but after installing a new hard drive and then disconnecting it, Vista doesn't work no more.

Is this fixable or is his computer just a POS?

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Have you tested the integrated graphics?

And when you look in the Device Manager -- do you see entries for both the integrated and an installed card?

If you do, then that might be a problem because if you are using the installed card, the onboard chip should be disabled at the BIOS level and nothing for it should appear in the Device Manager.

If you are just seeing just the installed card I would try enabling the onboard graphics and remove the installed card physically for a test.

Also, do things look any different in Safe Mode or with a different Monitor?

9. tech.dude

tech.dude Thread Starter

I can't get Windows to load, so I can't access the Device Manager. As soon as the BIOS loads, that screen shows up for 5 seconds then the screen goes black and Windows never loads.

When I first installed Windows 7, I tried both the integrated and add-on video cards multiple times with different mice (2 ps/2 mice and a usb mouse) and no matter what, as long as a mouse was plugged in, that screen would show up and Windows 7 wouldn't load, but disconnecting the mouse would get me passed that screen. If I left the mouse unplugged, Windows 7 would load and I could just plug my usb mouse in and use that, but my friend doesn't have a usb mouse and that's kind of inconvenient. So I just removed Windows 7 and put Vista on so he could use his computer for now.

I won't bother trying to remove the video card and using the integrated, because it's below Windows 7 minimum requirements (only 8mb memory), so I doubt it could run Windows 7 even if his computer was running normally.

10. tech.dude

tech.dude Thread Starter

I'm starting to get confused about the order of what happened, so I'll summarize this here so neither of us has to read all my previous posts.

Problem:
    After BIOS loads, a very colorful screen appears with a multitude of symbols (see first post), stays for 5 seconds, then the screen goes to black and stays like that. Windows never loads.

My friend wanted to upgrade his computer to Windows 7, but it did not meet Windows 7 minimum requirements, so I upgraded it for him.

New Specifications:
    Intel Pentium 4 @ 2.8Ghz
    1.5Gb DDR Ram
    Dvd-Rom/Cd-Rw Drive
    Dvd+Rw Drive

• I formatted his computer and installed Windows 7. Afterwards, that screen appeared.

• While going through the BIOS, I realized that his integrated graphics card only had 8mb of memory, and thinking this was the problem, my friend bought a new video card.
      eVga GeForce 9400GT 1gb PCI (not express)

• I installed the new video card and disabled the onboard video card from the BIOS. Tried turning on the computer, but that screen still appeared.

• At one point in testing, that screen did not show up and Windows 7 started normally. I realized that the mouse wasn't plugged in.

• After quite a bit of further testing, I realized that unplugging the mouse would cause that screen to go away and allow Windows 7 to load properly. I tested this with 2 different ps/2 mice and my usb mouse, and also with both the integrated and add-on video cards. Whenever the mouse was plugged in, that screen appeared and Windows never loaded. Unplug the mouse and the computer worked fine.

• My friend got tired of waiting for me to find the problem, so I removed Windows 7 and installed Windows Vista so he could use his computer again.

• After running out of hard drive space, my friend purchased a 320gb IDE hard drive, and I installed this in his computer. Since his original hard drive did not have a 'Cable Select' option for the jumper that I could find, I set the new hard drive to 'master' and the original to 'slave'. I configured the BIOS to load the new hard drive first.

• I installed Windows 7 on his new hard drive, hoping the problem might be solved. But that screen appeared again.

• I tried booting to the original hard drive with Windows Vista installed via the boot menu, but now that screen shows up for Windows Vista too.

• I moved the video card and tried it in all PCI slots, but that did nothing. I also tried using my video card in his computer, but that screen still appeared and Windows still failed to load. My video card is a lot older than his (eVga GeForce Fx 5500 128mb PCI), but it runs Windows 7 perfectly on my computer.

• I put his video card back in his computer and tried disconnecting his new hard drive and just leaving the original one plugged in like before, but now that screen appears for Windows Vista too.

• I decided to try the mouse trick again, but now even with nothing connected to the computer but the power cable and monitor, that screen still appears.

11. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The only other things that I can think of is an inadequate Power Supply for the installed card or a bad CMOS battery for data in the BIOS -- given the order of issues.

You might try removing the CMOS battery and testing it (it should be near 3v). Removing and reseating it (with a minute or two in between) should reset the CMOS to its defaults. The computer time will need to be reset after this.

The power supply that came with the computer was probably not designed to handle the extra load of the 9400.

Does that card require an extra power supply connection?

12. tech.dude

tech.dude Thread Starter

The video card doesn't require any additional power. The video card worked fine with Vista, so I don't see how it would only stop working for Windows 7.

I'll try testing and possibly replacing the battery and see if that works.

13. tech.dude

tech.dude Thread Starter

The battery was fine, but I tried replacing it with a new battery and leaving it out for a few minutes. Sometimes that screen doesn't show up, but Windows still won't load.

The power supply is 250W, so I think it should be sufficient.

I also tried switching to the integrated video card, but that screen still shows up.

14. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Do I understand that you are not able to reach the F8 Advanced Boot Menu options at all, before encountering this?

It sounds like a low level hardware problem -- if not the power supply or graphics adapter, then perhaps the ram. Can you test one module at a time?

Also I would suggest creating a "puppy linux" boot disk (easy to do), and booting with it entirely outside of Windows. Try it with the integrated graphics enabled and the installed card physically removed. Then if that works -- try the installed card and the integrated graphics disabled. Or visa versa.

http://www.puppylinux.com/

This is a good generic hardware test -- and if it fails -- you probably want to post in the hardware forum, rather than in Win7.

IF you choose to do so, you can include a link back to this, and I will close this thread -- just let me know.

15. tech.dude

tech.dude Thread Starter

I would be able to access the advanced boot options if the computer has them. The bios loads fine and I can get into the setup menu and boot menu okay, it's just Windows never loads.

I have a few linux discs around (Ubuntu 9.10 and 9.04 and Fedora 11) so I'll try running one of those and see what happens.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/893567

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice