1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 will not start after update

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jackilucia, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jackilucia

jackilucia Thread Starter

My daughter's laptop will not load Windows 7 and it was working fine prior to this. We get the error message that it may be due to a recent update??? I tried running the repair tool which took over an hour and it was not able to fix the error. We get a black screen for quite awhile when we boot up and then it stays stuck on the splash screen stating "starting windows" for a longer while. Any ideas????

Thanks!

Jacki

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    - try safemode
    as the PC starts keep tapping F8 - a menu appears - choose
    safemode - see if that works

3. jackilucia

no safe mode does not work either. it begins to launch safe mode and then it gets stuck and says "please wait" for hours.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    have you tried
    as the PC starts keep tapping F8 - a menu appears - choose
    last known good configuration - see if that works

5. jackilucia

OK, just tried it - it stays stuck on the "Starting Windows" screen

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    your probably going to need to re-install windows now - did you make the recovery DVDs ?

whats the make and model of the PC

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is possible to run system restore from the cmd prompt however you need a full MS install dvd and NOT a recovery type dvd that comes with just about ALL big box systems.

If you have a real ms install dvd, post back and I can post instructions on how to accomplish this task.

8. jackilucia

I only have the drivers and utilities dvd that came with the laptop

9. jackilucia

I only have the DVD for the drivers and utilities that came with the laptop. It is a Dell Inspiron N5110.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, then you are probably looking at a reinstall. Check your manual as to how to access the recovery partition.

Just for future reference, I highly recommend getting an external, NAS, network share, etc and storing an image file of your system. With this is is all of 5 to maybe 10min at most to restore the image; done. I use and recommend acronis true image for this task.

11. jackilucia

I have inserted the drivers DVD and followed the instructions for reinstalling the OS in the Dell manual that came with the laptop. It appears as if it is working but then it takes me to an F:\> prompt and stays stuck there. It says:
    Your CD/DVD drive during this boot cycle is f:
    A RAMDISK drive is available for this boot cycle as C:
    It contains several Hard Drive setup tools. Please use these tools only under the direction of Dell Support Staff.
    F:\>

12. jackilucia

I have inserted the drivers DVD and followed the instructions for reinstalling the OS in the Dell manual that came with the laptop. It appears as if it is working but then it takes me to an F:\> prompt and stays stuck there. It says:
    Your CD/DVD drive during this boot cycle is f:
    A RAMDISK drive is available for this boot cycle as C:
    It contains several Hard Drive setup tools. Please use these tools only under the direction of Dell Support Staff.
    F:\>

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Did you use the recovery partition? Usually it is the F11 key however you do have to check.

14. jackilucia

That just brings me to the black screen with 2 options which I have done a million times:

Launch Startup Repair - runs and takes about 2 hours and then tells me that my computer cannot be repaired automatically
    Start Windowns normally - gets me stuck on the "Starting Windows" screen

I think I need to reinstall Windows???

15. jackilucia

That just brings me to the black screen with 2 options which I have done a million times:

Launch Startup Repair - runs and takes about 2 hours and then tells me that my computer cannot be repaired automatically
    Start Windows normally - gets me stuck on the "Starting Windows" screen and doesn't budge

I think I need to reinstall Windows???

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083381

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice