1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows 7 - wireless networking a printer

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by bobbycow36, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bobbycow36

bobbycow36 Thread Starter

Hi
    I'm running an Acer laptop 64 bit with Windows 7 and want to set it up with an old Epson DX 4400 printer through a wireless network. I already have a network and ran the printer through a PC which has now gone.
    The printer needs a dongle - problem number one is that it has the small USB socket and I can only find Windows 7 dongles with standard size USB - if I buy an adaptor will this still work?
    Problem two is that I haven't been able to find instructions for networking an isolated printer like this with a dongle.
    Any suggestions?
    Many thanks
    Des

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you will need a print server to run on the network as the printer is not already network enabled -

this site says it will work with windows 7 64 bit -so that a good start - you can plug it in and check it works all ok
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/co...11C68830&l=en-US&pf=0&pi=0&s=DX4400&os=64-bit
    says its will work on windows 7 64bit - just by plugging in

Not a recommendation as never used - but you need something like this
    USB print server for multi function printer
    http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=419878&CatId=1215

3. bobbycow36

Many thanks for that - didn't realize there had to be an intermediary
    I'll think about it and let you know how I get on

4. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    You don't neccessarily. If you can still buy the adapter cable, it should work directly from the computer USB socket. You could then use it through the LAN. But, if that is in your system, you could run it through the router?
    But, maybe poor advice, cableing products are not cheap. A printer such as yours can, today, be purchased at a very low price and be totally compatible now and for the future.

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Only if you want to connect direct to the network - you can still do this

if you have a PC to connect it to

6. bobbycow36

Hi,
    sorry for being thick but I don't really understand that!
    Are you suggesting a hardwired link to either the laptop or the router? That would kindof defeat the object though. Maybe you could tell me a little more.
    I take your point about the printer being obsolete and a new one would have the wireless facility built in, but would that get me out of having to have the print server too? If so that would definitely be the best option
    Many thanks

7. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    the printer is not network compatible - only USB
    1) So to get the printer to work on its own connected directly to a network will need a device - "print server" to allow connection onto a network.
    2) You can connect the Printer to a PC via USB and then share the printer , and because the PC is connected to the network it acts as the print server so other devices can see it on the network
    3) Buy a network enabled printer - saw quite a few deals for all-in1 network printers for around £40 or less
    heres one at staples http://www.staples.co.uk/pcs-and-la...art-wireless-e-3-in-1-printer-print-copy-scan - but i have seen much cheaper then that AND you DO NOT need a print server - just connect to your network - assume you do have a wireless network now

under £40
    http://www.comet.co.uk/p/Multi-Func...mart-Wifi-e-AiO-Multi-Function-Printer/648833
    http://www.comet.co.uk/p/Multi-Function-Printers/buy-HP-Deskjet-3050-Multi-Function-Printer/662291

8. bobbycow36

Aaaah! Now I see.
    No brainer then - I'll get a printer like the ones you mention, they're dead cheap really and it'll save all the hassle
    Yes there is a network - but it consists only of the laptop, an iPad and a PC that's too inaccessible to run a printer off
    It was set up by someone else who's no longer around so if I can't figure out how to add the printer when I get it I may be back! I've looked at the network settings for the 3 above and it looks like the PC is on a different network from the laptop and the iPad. I shall have to set up some shared files on each and see if they can really share them - I guess that would be the acid test. When the other PC was on the network it was possible to use its USB printer from the laptop so they must have been on the same network. The iPad was added much later.
    I don't think it helps that the PC runs XP while the laptop runs Win 7
    I'll have a play over the weekend and see if I can get it straight
    Many thanks for all your help

9. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    OK - printer is cheap BUT ink isnt on these devices you usually need to change all the colour , even though only one has run out

have a read here

Complete Guide to Networking Windows 7 with XP and Vista
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/15247/complete-guide-to-networking-windows-7-with-xp-and-vista/

Share-files between windows7 and xp
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/share-files-and-printers-between-windows-7-and-xp/

Here’s how you can get your Windows 7 PC to share printers and files with XP and Vista PCs--and even a Mac
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/184232/set_up_your_home_network_windows_7_edition.html
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/12246/share-a-printer-on-your-network-from-vista-or-xp-to-windows-7/

10. bobbycow36

Hi
    a further complication has arisen! It looks now as if I shall have to site my router where the printer is going to be. Someone suggested that I could the router instead of a server - how would I do this?
    Would it still have to be a network printer or would the old one do?
    I can't envisage how I would wire it up or how to address it on the network
    I have been studying the network printers - I really don't need anything this sophisticated and while the cheap ones for £40 - £50 are fine, the ink costs nearly as much as the printer - just for one refill! And my usuall low-cost clone supplier doesn't do these yet - so I'm still thinking if there's a way of using my old printer which still prints fine and just uses £4 a go cartridges b/w or colour!
    If the router option is no good I think I will go for the server - at last there's no running costs once it's bought

I look forward to your thoughts
    Many thanks inn advance
    bobbycow

11. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    what router do you have ?
    How is your network made up - make and models would help here
    You can connect network printers to router by cable - you normally need to do this first to setup anyway
    No - you cant use the USB on the router , unless its a special router that has a USB connection and print server capability

can you describe your setup - PCs make and modeles, routers , modems , printers etc

Your right about the cost of ink ...... why not use the printer on a PC and share that way

12. bobbycow36

Hi

apologies for the long delay in responding - I had to go away at short notice
    I had been compiling a list of the PC attributes etc you mentioned when things took their own turn - my wife has decided she wants a new printer for photos as the current epson is not very good so I shall go for the HP Aeio which has the cheapest ink - the one that was mentioned which is cheapest from Amazon as far as I can find. You can even print photos by email from anywhere though I can't see the point!

Many thanks for all the helpful suggestions - I shall let you know if I can get it to work!

cheers
    Bobbycow36

13. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    thanks for the update -
    i'll have to look into that, kodak are advertising as being the cheapest and I have a couple of clients who have purchased these machines and are quite pleased
    do you have the exact model of the HP

14. bobbycow36

The model I'm looking at is the HP CN245B Photosmart Wireless e-All-in-One Printer
    It has individual inks so replacement should be a little cheaper but there are no clones I can find so far.

I've had a look at the Kodak - but the reviews have all criticized the poor quality text print and the lack of features.
    The Kodak ESP5250 Wifi Wireless All-in-one Printer at £78 on Amazon in the cheapest Kodak to offer a screen on the printer and Wi-Fi but Which? also criticized this model for poor text printing.
    However as you say they do get mentioned a lot for cheap ink relative to amount of printing.

Despite this I'm sticking with the HP as overall it seems to be the best option
    cheers
    bobbycow36

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974495

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice