1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WIndows 7 Won't boot! AVG? HD Fail?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by cobbcj7, May 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cobbcj7

cobbcj7 Thread Starter

I will try to sum this up a bit.. :rolleyes:
    I have Windows 7 64-Bit, and about a month ago I was having problems booting.. I went straight to safe mode and was able to use Diagnostic Startup from MSConfig.. The machine booted fine and I was able to get in and run virus scans. Nothing was found using AVG, Ad Aware and other programs.. So I thought well lets try Limited Startup and that worked! So I downloaded a few registry cleaners and what ever else I thought I might need.. I ran all the scans I could think of.

So then I decided lets try full startup and that was not a good idea.. I now get hung just after the Windows Logo screen before the Login Screen.. Actually I have made it to the Windows Login Screen a few times and put in my password but it says windows starting and then windows shutting down..

I can not get into safemode now either as it will hang with the last line showing "avgdisha.sys" So I goodled that and I get a response from AVG claiming they screwed up the Windows 7 64Bit edition with their latest upgrade. They put out a CD to help wipe out whatever the issue is, but my computer has wireless internet so the CD didn't seem to want to do anything..

I have run Scandsk/f but the system tells me there is a repair pending and must reboot to complete, but I can't reboot.. So I run Chkdsk/f and it completes, but when I run chkdsk/r its freezing at Stage 4 of 5 13% verifying data..:mad:

I have been attempting everything I can think of and find on google and nothing works.. I do not have a Windows CD but I did make a Windows Recovery CD from another computer.. None of the Programs on the Disc are helping either.. I would just go and buy a windows 7 disk, but I am not sure that the HD is failing or is it just AVG screwing up my boot process...

Hope you guys can help.. I'm first time user of your website. Thanks

2. Crazy10

Crazy10

Registry Cleaners are awful. They claim to 'fix' but they don't deliver.

3. TechHobbiest

TechHobbiest

I have had nothing but problems with AVG for about two years. If you can get into startup repair using the Windows 7 disk I would try a restore point (hopefully you have some).

The other thing you can do is download PartedMagic which includes smartmon tools and GSmart Control. Burn the disk, boot off of it, and on the desktop will be an icon to test your disk (runs GSmart Control). This shows your SMART status as well as letting you run a quick SMART test. This will give you a really good idea if it's the HDD or AVG.

4. TechHobbiest

TechHobbiest

Also Crazy10 is right. NEVER use a registry cleaner. The only time I can think of to use one is if you install and uninstall a LOT of apps every day. Even then you want to create a restore point and create a registry backup.

5. cobbcj7

cobbcj7 Thread Starter

I don't have a restore point apparently, I already tried that.. The windows Recovery disc Startup repair didn't fix anything.. I guess the only way to access my computer is through the command prompt

I can use the command prompt to access "notepad" and from there I can access alot of the computer, but I'm not sure what I need to find and do from there.. I tried to locate the AVG drivers, but the WIndows/system32/drivers is pretty empty when accessing it this way...

6. huggie54

huggie54

7. TechHobbiest

TechHobbiest

Have you tested the drive yet? If the drive is failing then it all becomes moot. Personally I never work on a system until I run a quick SMART test of the drive. This procedure has saved me countless hours of troubleshooting.

If the drive is working properly, then you will want to modify the startup entries from outside the OS. I am spoiled with my 7 ERD disk which allows me to make all the changes I need in a GUI. I know there are some other Linux based rescue disks that allow the same but have not used them first hand.

Unless someone comes along that knows exactly what commands to use and what to remove I would backup, wipe, and re-install. When AVG gets in your system it REALLY gets in there (more so than Norton). When I have to remove the bloody thing I have to go back and search the registry for left over entries. On average I find ~300.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1099351

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice