1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 won't boot into safe mode, WILL boot into normal mode

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by morgoe876, Apr 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. morgoe876

morgoe876 Thread Starter

Really weird issue. My computer locked up and restarted when I was playing Battlefield 3, not sure why. Then it didn't want to boot up for some reason. Eventually I got an error message about a disk i/o error. I assume this is due to a corrupted USB that was connected to the PC. When I removed that I was able to boot into normal mode, but not into safe mode. I didn't like this, so I went msconfig -> boot -> Safe Boot. And now every time I try to boot, no matter whether I select normal or safe mode, it tries to boot into safe mode and fails.

It gives me the menu, shows a screen loading all the system files and then says "Booting in safemode - Minimal Services". Then my monitor says "no signal" and remains black. Things are still plugged in - tapping numkey makes the light go on and off on the keyboard - but I can't actually DO anything. And now there's no way I can see to boot into normal mode.

What do I do?

2. morgoe876

morgoe876 Thread Starter

I just tried putting in the Windows Install disc, to try and launch the Recovery Console, but I only got 4 options on the boot up screen. 3 variations of safe mode and one "start normally" (which due to my msconfig edits means safe mode, minimal). Tried downloading a W7 64bit repair disc ISO, burnt that.. same deal.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Safe Boot is not Safe Mode. Safe Mode is entered by using F8 at startup. Can you get that menu? Have you tried other options?

Try System Restore.

4. morgoe876

morgoe876 Thread Starter

Neither Safe Mode nor Safe Boot work. The only options I have when booting are Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode with Command Prompt and "Start Windows Normally" (ie. Safe Boot). They all do the same thing - load up a list of files (the last file it loads is CLASSPNP.SYS, is this right?), then just black screen. "Normal" boot says "Booting into SafeMode - Minimal Services" before the black screen, otherwise no difference.
    Even though I've got the Recovery Disc in the DVD Drive I don't have any other options.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1048044

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice