1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 Won't Boot - Odd colors on startup

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by swggeekgirl, Nov 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. swggeekgirl

swggeekgirl Thread Starter

Hello there, it would seem today is not going to start out good lol. I went to hop on my computer as it wasn't in standby, just had been sitting there in the on position, I clicked on one of those catchy news articles on Yahoo, and then the screen freaked out and the color pink started to slowly take over my screen. I couldn't move mouse, nor keyboard. A hard reset was the only way out.

Alas, upon reaching the log in screen, I click my name, and await the load. Oh, but my computer wasn't having that, it decided that I will be presented with a big gray screen at first, then I restarted again, a pink screen, upon another restart a black screen. This happens always after I click on my name, and it goes to load the desktop.

So I tried scouring the net, tried every possible little solution I could think of, except most of the people's problems I found weren't like mine, theirs was the blinking mouse and black screen deal, mind doesn't even show a mouse cursor, it just goes into a solid color and freezes. Which a hard reboot is the only way out.

My computer:
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 4
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 6135 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 476937 MB, Free - 42706 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., P6T DELUXE
    Antivirus: AVG Anti-Virus, Disabled

I am currently sitting in safemode with network support, camping this thread. So with that knowledge, safe mode boots up just fine with everything in tact. The things I tried:

Check disk, it came back with an error I was only able to get to pop up once, so I don't have an exact phrasing of what it said, but basically something about a software change that couldn't be updated and then went to load up.

I did the memory check and it had no errors

Did all the standard checks with my anti-virus software. Nothing there.

If anyone has any clue on what's going on here, I'd be so grateful for your help. I will even virtually kiss your face to death. Cause I am a broke college girl with like no money to buy extra hard-drives to backup all my school work. Which is pretty significant considering we're late into the semester.

If you need any more information, I'm sitting right here, probably refreshing this thread over and over!

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

This sounds like a problem with your graphics card or the driver.

• Download the latest driver for the card and save it to the desktop.
    • Go into Device Manager and locate the card, right click on it and select Uninstall.
    • Go back to the desktop and double click on the new driver to install it.

After that, try to reboot back into Normal mode and post back with the results.

3. swggeekgirl

swggeekgirl Thread Starter

Well had a weird result the first time, I managed to get into my normal mode the first time I tried it. Then it finished installing the driver and asked for restart. I did so, it showed the "Welcome" screen then it did the norm, but it was more like a psychedelic freeze this time, with a weird half oval circle of rainbow colors over the welcome screen. Had to restart again. Then it jumped right back into it's one solid color freeze up on login to desktop. Sigh..

4. huggie54

huggie54

boot back into safe mode,goto device manager and uninstall the display driver again but this time reboot the computer and let windows reinstall the drivers,report back please

5. Mark1956

Mark1956

It is sounding like your graphics card is faulty. Just to be sure it is not due to a bad connection, take the card out and clean the contacts with a soft pencil eraser and blow out the slot with a can of compressed air (available from any computer store). Then refit the card and try again.

If still no joy then run this test. In safe mode if need be.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025558

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice