1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 won't boot past "Starting Windows" possible hard drive issue

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Xeiconfinsha, Nov 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Xeiconfinsha

Xeiconfinsha Thread Starter

Hey guys, kinda new here, hopefully I'm posting this in the right forum section.

I'm not that super oriented with computers, I'll give it my best shot to explain what's going on here.

In short my PC just won't start. The light turns on, it boots up, and then I get a black screen with text referring to either "Start Up Repair (recommended)"

or

"Start windows normally"

If I choose start windows normally, it brings me to the black booting screen with the windows flag, then it proceeds to go back and restart the system, going back to the black screen. OR More likely it just stays stuck on the glowing windows flag.

This also occurs if I press F8 and go into safe mode. After listing all the components before going into safe mode, it simply restarts itself and goes right back to the black screen of the two choices.

If I select Start up repair, a grey loading bar appears below that on occasion freezes. If I manually reset the computer try it again, I get to a blue windows default background screen and the message

"Startup Repair
    Your computer was unable to start
    Startup repair is checking your system for problems...

If problems are found, Startup Repair will fix them automatically. Your computer might restart several times during this process.
    No changes will be made to your personal files or information. This might take several minutes.

Searching for problems.. (this is beneath a blue bar that has been going on for at least an hour)

There's also a Dos window that reads

X:\windows\system32\cmd.exe

Anyone have any idea of what I have to do? A friend of mine thinks I may have to reinstall the operating system, or get a new hard drive entirely.

**NOTE**

My friend did in fact advise me of burning UBUNTU onto a disc, booting my PC on that, and then try to copy all of my data onto a portable hard drive. This worked briefly and it would take forever. It said it would require 2 hours just to transfer four jpg images to my External hard drive.

After getting as much as I could, UBUNTU froze, I restarted it, and now while in UBUNTU it won't detect my hard drive at all.

I have also attempted to make my defunct hard drive a slave, to no avail, which mostly just fails to boot the master hard drive.

My issue though is how would I take all of my things out of the hard drive, before installing a new OS/adding a new Hard drive.

thanks for the help

I have a custom built PC, with windows 7 Operating system. I believe it has a one terabyte hard drive, 6-8 gigs of ram. I can't get the specs on it because I can't get it working to find that information out

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Reading the first part of the post I was all prepared to suggest memory and hard drive diagnostics. But I now think that you can safely focus on the hard drive. Is the hard drive now not detected in the BIOS/UEFI?

Not going to happen if you can't detect it. If it is readable at all I would suggest Puppy Linux for a rescue disk, but that has only a small chance of helping if Ubuntu fails.

3. Xeiconfinsha

Hi Terrynet,

when I open it in BIOS, it does in fact detect it.

*UPDATE*
    Some possible good news, I finally managed to boot it as a slave drive to an older hard drive of mine.

But transferring data takes forever.

I transferred something that was 3 Gigs and it took roughly 7 hours! ( I left my PC on whileit transferred it)

And it seems to get worse

I attempted to transfer just 546 MB of data, only to tell me t hat only 14 hours and 55 minutes remain

I've only managed to take a few things off of it.Should I try this puppy linux?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Doubt that Puppy will be any faster than Ubuntu.

5. Xeiconfinsha

so what should I do?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Replace that hard drive.

7. Xeiconfinsha

And how do I recover all of my data?

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you can't do it yourself with Ubuntu or Puppy I guess the next step is to search for a Data Recovery Company (Example).

May I suggest that you soon rethink and revise your data backup plan?

9. Xeiconfinsha

well data is all being saved right now and it's been taking 5-6 hours per sets of files.. So soon as everything is copied and ask for the next step

10. feelT2

feelT2

hi! I am stuck on a black screen w just my cursor.......since last week.
    If,you wish to-check on my page....it has not been resolved yet,but
    perhaps,some of the steps that I have already gone through....
    will fix your problemt
    all you can do is try,right!?
    my tags are:black screen,System Restore error(think put error)
    My user name is feelT2
    hope this helps

11. feelT2

feelT2

P.S. my Statup Repair program ran all night,and when
    I tried to cancel...told me it could not be stopped
    and,removed cancel button
    it may take several hours!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1138072

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice