1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 won't boot

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by dennya, Dec 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dennya

dennya Thread Starter

Have dual boot; XP and 7. 7 will no longer boot, asking for the installation CD.
    I don't have an installation CD, only the one that puts everything back as it was
    when purchased.

Can I get a boot file that will boot from USB? Or since I can see the 7 drive
    from XP, could I add a file to Win7?

I checked on EasyBCD that is supposed to work, but I' use RollBack and it won't
    work with RollBack installed. I'm afraid to uninstall RollBack since it has saved me
    so many times in the past.

Any ideas will be appreciated

2. Callum_Dawson

Callum_Dawson

This isn't exactly a problem for us to solve. Simply (as instructed) get hold of a boot disk. I don't think anybody will redistribute boot files.

3. Mark1956

Mark1956

A little more information is needed here. I would assume that your original OS was XP for which you have the Recovery discs. So how did you install Windows 7?

If you downloaded a copy of Windows 7 and have not paid for a genuine licence then we cannot offer any assistance.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

It's good that you have a backup system. But possibly the greatest cause of data loss is hard drive failure, and if Rollback keeps its backups on the same drive, it won't be of much use.

If you have an extra hard drive, internal or external, it is far better to make disk images on a separate drive. Then you can uninstall Rollback and possibly solve your problem.

But what exactly is the problem? Please note that error messages are not always correct. The problem could be something else, so please describe the problem in detail.

Free drive backup software (imaging, cloning, and archiving - backups can be created on a second hard drive, internal or external, or on DVD's, or BluRay disks. One BluRay disk will hold most peoples' entire system drive's backup at 25 GB's using compressed images, 50 GB's double-layer):

Paragon Backup & Recovery (Recovery boot CD or USB key)
    Macrium Reflect (Free)
    O&O Disk Image Express or (mirror)
    Easeus Todo Backup
    Redo Backup & Recovery (Boot CD)
    Clonezilla Live (A bootable CD of Debian with Clonezilla.)
    Drive Image XML
    PING (Partimage is not Ghost) (Boot CD with option Clam Antivirus)
    Partition Saving
    Clonezilla
    Passmark OSFClone (Bootable, cloning only)

There are also many commercial products with more features.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029983

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice