1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 wont open

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Andy722, Apr 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Andy722

Andy722 Thread Starter

Most folders won't open. Can not use Windows Explorer but can use Control Panel. Can download anything, like TSG Sysinfo, but can not get to the file.

Have Malabytes, Vipre, Superantispyware, they find nothing.

Have also tried the Microsoft fix of creating a new User name and coping files from the old user profile to the new one. No good.

I am running Win 7 Professional. 64 bit and this is the second time this has occurred in two months.

System restore tells me there are no restore files even though I actually made a manual restore file yesterday.

I have the AMOEI backup system but the computer will not boot from the disk. I have the cmos set to boot from a Cd first, a Cd second and hard drive third. It boots with the sign, "Boot from CD" but will not accept any thing from the keyboard and proceeds on to boot from the hard drive.

My previous cure was to reinstall Windows and then delete the Old Windows and all other files from the SSD drive. Then spend about 8 hours reloading all programs.

Downloading files will not work, even from my second computer because I can not transfer them.

Any suggestions will be helpful

2. CleaverX

CleaverX

you stated that 'most folders won't open' ok so some folders do open? What error do you get when you try to open a folder? What do you mean 'cannot use Windows Explorer?' That is the GUI program that allows you to interact with Windows so you must be using it. Do you mean you cannot navigate using the folder trees? What error do you get when you try? Please also upload whatever screenshot you can to further illustrate your issue.

3. Turn2

Turn2

Doesn't sound like a malware issue so running Anti-Malware/virus/pup programs won't help. Sounds like a system file corruption. I recommend to run a system file checker.

1. Open an administrator command prompt.
    a. Open the start menu.
    b. Search for cmd
    c. Right-click the cmd program and "run as administrator".

2. Run the command: sfc /scannow

4. Andy722

Andy722 Thread Starter

Firstly,thanks for the replies.

I have run SFC/Scannow ad administrator and it reports "windows has corrupted files - unable to repair."

A screen shot of the desktop would show nothing other than a desktop picture with some folders.

This is exactly what happens.

One day the computer is fine, closes down properly.

Now when it starts it looks ok until I click on a desktop icon.

This can be a folder which opens with a collection of icons for similar propgrams, ie Graphic programs.

All that happens is that a small version of the window drops down to the Exploree icon on the taskbar.

If I rest the mouse on the Explorer icon I can see small versions of the folder.

If I then click on the folder it will zoom from the taskbar diagonally across, left to right/ and disappears.

If i then right click on the Explorer icon and pick "close all", the icons then appear and cross diagonally from tight to left, back to the explorer

icon on the taskbar.

Clicking on the Start button, all programs, allows me to use the cmd, msconfig, and other commands. Also I can access the Control Panel.

All other installed programs show thier icons (in Start, all programs) but they are all white and will not run any programs,

Clicking on the MY Computer icon does nothing. I cannot access any of the drives.

I managed to use AMEOI to restore a cloned system file and that worked fine for 24 hours then casme back again.

Today I have restored the clone file and it seems ok.

I believe the problem may be caused by a corrupted profile and possibly that the C drives (a 500gb solid state drive) may be faulty.

5. donetao

donetao Banned

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147366

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice