1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 won't start up

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by bacchus8408, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bacchus8408

bacchus8408 Thread Starter

This morning I tried to turn on my computer and during the start up I got a screen that said "error message "windows failed to start.a recent hardware or software change might be the cause". I am given the option to launch start up repair or to start normally. I have tried both options and either way a screen comes up that says "windows is loading files" then "starting windows" but then it goes to a light blue screen. Not a BSOD but light blue with what looks like a white starburst at the top. It looks like a wallpaper. I have a movable cursor but it is larger than normal but nothing happens. No error message or anything, it just stays there. I tried starting in safe mode and got the same thing. I tried to boot from a boot disc I made when I got the computer and got the same thing. I have tried to boot in all the various methods ( safe with networking, safe with command, last know good config, etc.) but I always end up on the same blue and white screen. Everything of importance is backed up online and on disc so i am not worried about loosing information if need be, though it would suck ti loose my various game saves Am I totally screwed or is there a genius out there who can help me?

2. mel8again

mel8again

I'm no genius but I have heard of people with a similar problems installing or running a live disk version of linux. Once the linux is running you can go into Windows and try and find out what's wrong. If you use a live disk of Linux, it's not installed. It runs from the disk and memory so you can get into Windows.

3. w7pro

w7pro

I realize that you're reluctant to do so, but if starting in safe mode isn't working, you may have to just do a clean install of Windows 7. Hopefull you have your data backed up, but it seems like the last possibility, barring taking it in to see if it's a hardware issue.

-- Ryan
    Windows Outreach Team

4. kyerian

kyerian

My Acer 5534 I turn it and my windows 7 screen don't come up it comes up with black screen saying insert boot disc and press any key

5. Hughv

Hughv

What model is the computer?
    It won't hurt to open the case and re-seat the memory, the cards and check that all connections are tight.
    Remove all usb devices and try to boot.

6. bacchus8408

bacchus8408 Thread Starter

Quick update, still nothing works. Frustrated I finally decided to try a clean install. I put in a windows disc but still couldn't get past the same screen. Finally decided to just wipe it and start clear. I can't even format the drive. Anyway, im going to have to take it to the shop tomorrow and have them check the physical drive itself. Everything important is already backed up to disc (except for my fallout game saves grrrrrrrr) so I'm not worried about losing anything.

Thanks for all your help guys

7. LagunaGTO

LagunaGTO Account Closed

Next time you have just a blank screen and a movable cursor, try hitting Ctrl+Alt+Del and going to File > New Task. Type in 'explorer.exe' and see if everything loads.

If not, see if it will boot to safe mode. If so, run a msconfig and turn off all your startup items and see if it boots to normal mode then.

8. kyerian

kyerian

That's doesn't work no cursor it reads insert boot disc press any key

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977357

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice