1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows 7 wouldn't boot and now has issues

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Supernube, Jan 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Supernube

Supernube Thread Starter

Hi all. I have a problem which I am not sure can be solved without a new hard drive ..but Im hoping you may know more than me...which really would not be too hard.
    Today my friend gave me her laptop to fix..or try...
    It is an HP G56 ...it would not boot up or start at all.
    I was able to get as far as f8 f10 f11 etc..tried a few things on there like the option to repair ...i reset the bios ..everything a novice would attempt.
    She had already accepted that the laptop was "knackered" and just wanted to hopefully save her pictures.
    I removed the hard drive and connected it to my PC as a secondary drive...and managed to SLOWLY get nearly all her pics off....apart from one folder full that wouldnt fully load the thumbnail pics and most were just image markers ? none of those pics would transfer over !
    Once I had done this I put it back in the laptop and tried repair option...system restore...every option I could find that would maybe start us at the beginning again...but nothing.
    Wouldnt find a restore point...wouldnt repair...Im sorry its been a long day and I cant fully remember allthe options I had...but I tried them all.
    As a last option I tried booting from the windows 7 disk and performed a new install. Which even that didnt want to complete the first two attempts.?
    It kept hanging on the command prompt window saying windows is finalizing your install...but it didnt finalize anything at first and was, as it has been all day, running very slowly..and hot.
    Eventually it has finished the new install and now it is still very slow...and behaving oddly...taking a long time to get past the windows screen..then a long time to get to the welcome screen...if at all.
    It is freezing and just taking a long time to do certain things. I click on the start button and it goes all white square around the button and shows the spinning circle thing showing its busy ? nothing happens so I restart....then it may be fine...then another problem..restart...unbelievably slow also.
    I dont know what else to say really...as you can see I am a true novice ..and Im sorry I cannot be more specific in details...please ask me any questions that may help you and I will try my best to answer.
    something is obviously not right...please help me find out what it is.
    Thank you
    Daniel

2. Supernube

Supernube Thread Starter

I just performed a hard disk test ..it failed apparently.
    SMART check = passed
    Short DST = Failed

I have no idea what this means or even if it is relevant ?
    Thank you

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084474

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice