Windows 7 x64 16GB RAM no go

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

winpc

GA M720 US3 motherboard with 16GB RAM max support.

I was running it with x4 2GB but decided to increase to x4 4GB.

Same speed RAM but with the 16GB installed, blue screen as soon as W7 starts to boot.

None of the 4GB RAM is faulty. I've tried them all in separately.

I can boot with a combination of x2 4GB and x2 2GB but higher than that, its a blue screen.

I've looked at max RAM in W7 and its unticked.

What RAM settings, if any, can I experiment with in the BIOS?

crjdriver

A few things;
1 Motherboards of that era VERY often had problems with all four slots populated
2 I checked the support page and there are almost no 4gig chips listed. Out of all the memory listed, I think I found 3 or 4 approved 4gig chips
3 The support list shows only DS or double sided ram chips as approved.

Did you check the gigabyte list for compatibility?

winpc

I made the presumption all would be well.

The memory I got is part no. M378T5263AZ3-CF7 (CL6).

Having looked at the approved list for GA M720 US3, the only approved Samsung 4GB RAM for GA M720 US3 is M378T5263AZ3-CE6 (CL5).

Evidentially the motherboard doesn't like it.

crjdriver

Honestly if you were running with four 2gig chips for a total of 8gig, I highly doubt a motherboard of that age is going to benefit from more than 8gig of ram. There might be some specific program that would use all of the 16gig of ram however I doubt it. Running win7, 8gig is more than enough.

Up to you; either run it the way it was before OR purchase ram on the qvl or approved list.

winpc

The price was right, that's why I bothered. I can use the ram elsewhere for upgrades.

Thanks for posting.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online