1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 x64 GPO problems when connecting with WiFi Only

Discussion in 'Networking' started by DanielJay, Feb 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanielJay

DanielJay Thread Starter

I have a handful of Dell E6410, E6420 and a small handful of E6520 machines. We are having problems with the network connection on boot when using WiFi only. If we connect via Ethernet the connection has no problems.
    The problem we are having is that the machines are getting stuck on the welcome screen doing: "Applying group policy drives maps policy"

When we check the event viewer we are seeing:
    Event ID 6005 The winlogon notification subscriber <GPClient> is taking long time to handle the notification event (Logon).

Event ID 502 Failed to apply policy and redirect folder "Documents" to "\\<ourdomain>\dfs\docs\<myusername>\My Documents".
    Redirection options=0x9210.
    The following error occurred: "Failed to redirect because the destination directory "\\<ourdomain>\dfs\docs\<myusername>\My Documents" is offline".
    Error details: "The network path was not found.
    ".

Event ID 4098 The user 'T:' preference item in the '_Mapped Drives {23F1DF7D-F868-4D7E-9529-CE480F9E7891}' Group Policy object did not apply because it failed with error code '0x80070035 The network path was not found.' This error was suppressed.

If we disable the WiFi adapter and then turn the machine on the machine boots with no problems.
    If we leave the WiFi on and let it login it can take 5-10+ minutes to login. Once we login we try to navigate to our mapped drives via their correct network path and they load up just fine. Our My Documents path also opens with no problem.

The network cards in these machines are:
    Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 AGN
    Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6200 AGN

I have attempted to do the following to resolve with no success:
    1. Update WiFi driver to latest version from Intel's website and not Dell's website
    2. Tried using the Intel ProSet WiFi software instead of Windows to manage WiFi
    3. Installed the following fixes from Microsoft: 2549311, 2525332
    4. Setup a new wireless AP of a different manufacturer to rule out it was not an access point configuration problem.
    5. Ran the following commands to reset the networking: netsh winsock reset catalog
    netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log
    netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log
    6. Modified the registry key of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon GpNetworkStartTimeoutPolicyValue and set DWORD to 60
    7. Set the group policy item in Administrative Templates > System > Logon "Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon" to Enabled instead of Not Configured.
    8. Mapped a non DFS mapped network drive and that drive does not connect either.
    9. Disable IPv6
    10. Disable the Microsoft 6to4 Adapter in Device Manager

Any other possibilities that could be causing these network issues?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088303

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice