1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 7 zero-day bug

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by garensmith, Mar 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. garensmith

garensmith Thread Starter

What are you all doing about this Windows 7 zero-day bug. I am getting computer newsletters saying the following: If your computer is still on Windows 7, listen up! Google is now recommending Windows 7 holdovers to upgrade their systems to Windows 10 to protect their systems from two nasty zero-day bugs that attackers are already actively exploiting. As of this writing, there's still no patch for this Windows 7 zero-day bug so as "mitigation advice," Google recommends that users upgrade to Windows 10.

I'm not ready to upgrade to Windows 10 yet.

2. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    This is a good link to the problem:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...-to-windows-10-to-fix-windows-7-zero-day-bug/

The problem appears to be with Google's browser when installed on Win 7.
    You could uninstall Chrome browser and install a different browser,

I quit using Win 7 for Internet connectivity/browsing.
    Long before this issue.
    Also never used Chrome for a browser.

I've gone the Linux route.

3. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    The Windows part was patched in CVE-2019-0808 addressing a win32k.sys vulnerability.

I'm not going to Windows 10 yet either.

4. TOGG

TOGG

Although two of the browsers I use are based on the Chromium open source browser, I don't us the version 'tweaked' by Google, so I assume I am not affected by this particular issue.

I may not hold out as long as some XP users have, but I shan't be rushing to W10 any time soon, maybe never!

5. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I won't be using Windows 10. Probably a chomebook for my husband and an android tablet for me.

I also don't use Chrome on any Windows computer. (It is part of android and is on my 3 android devices but I've installed other browsers which I use).

I make images about every 4 weeks. If the computers (we have 4 running Windows 7) seem weird, I'll restore an image.

6. snuffleufflegus

snuffleufflegus

I use chrome and firefox. I havent really had any issues with chrome.It's always been pretty slick/quick.However,it seems as firefox is just as quick lately.If not faster.I use them both in case one has issues.Then i can verify whether it is the browser or not by seeing if the same issue persist in the other browser.
    Since i became aware of this new bug,i just updated it to the latest version as google suggested.Havent had any issues.
    one thing i like about both chrome and firefox is that i have made my own html code for my home page and can change it to any color,any background,change the way my bookmarks appear ,whether vertical,horizontal..etc. It just makes things simplistic when you open up your home page and your bookmarks are right in front of you.Anyways..enough babbling..see screenie below.

Untitledx.png

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Between now and January 2020, Microsoft's aggressive campaign will cause "fear mongering" with Windows 7 users so it can convince them to switch to Windows 10 before that date.

As long as your browser(s) and antivirus and security apps are kept up-to-date, and as long as you properly maintain your computer, and as long as you use "common sense" practices, Windows 7 likely can be used safely well beyond January 2020.

---------------------------------------------------------------

dlipman likes this.
  8. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    Well stated Frank !

9. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    I agree with that, but I had more problems with botched MS updates over time than I did with malware :cool:

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1224458

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice