Windows 7

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

1951dodge

Just wondering if MS really blew it with Windows 7. I have had nothing but problems since updating to Windows 7. I had/have problems with music, cannot rip the CD I own and when it does RIP it, the song won't play because of SPP/VSS or some other problem and the Internet exploer pop up keeps telling me I need a newer version or it needs an upgrade to a newer version than 7 which I am running.
I get constant requests to automatically update MS in order to get the latest updates which I have done several times. Still doesn't work?
MS tells you to elevate your status to perform certain functions and leaves you in "System32/?? What the hell is that? It still does not work?
The default program settings doesn't appear to work either. I set it to progams I use and after shutting down the PC, you have to reset them?? What is that? Why do I have to reset programs I supposedly set with MS??
I use Firefox and the MS PC constantly tries to change it to Explorer which is a joke in that it doesn't wotk or gets hung up trying to find a page never mind if you really get there. Never mind the annoying trying to change your hame page to "BING".
I need to vent but I still need to know how to fix the program so that I can get my music to play without the bothersome MS page flickering on and telling me I need a newer version of Explorer.
Any suggestion on the MS updates would be appreciated as well.
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.40GHz, Intel64 Family 15 Model 6 Stepping 4
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3582 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 76190 MB, Free - 26039 MB; D: Total - 476858 MB, Free - 456537 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0HH807
Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

flavallee

Trusted Advisor
First Name
Frank
I have had nothing but problems since updating to Windows 7.
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.40GHz, Intel64 Family 15 Model 6 Stepping 4
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3582 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 76190 MB, Free - 26039 MB; D: Total - 476858 MB, Free - 456537 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0HH807
Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled
You appear to have a 2006-era Dell OptiPlex GX620 that has support for Windows XP, but not for Windows Vista or Windows 7.

What's the "service tag" number and/or "express service code" number on yours?

How exactly and what did you use to install Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit in it?

----------------------------------------------------------

1951dodge

I would like to help you but I don't know what you want? Service tag, Express service code? What are they and why are they important?
The installation on my "OLD" computer was done with a disk by the technician. I wasn't aware MS could sell a program that doesn't work on "old" computers. I thought that was their purpose in life (to sell programs) for computers.
Now you have my attention I will look into Dell and see what can be done if anything.
Thanks for your input.

flavallee

Trusted Advisor
First Name
Frank
I would like to help you but I don't know what you want? Service tag, Express service code? What are they and why are they important?
The purpose of either or both of those numbers is so we can confirm the identity of your Dell and which operating system came in it.

The installation on my "OLD" computer was done with a disk by the technician.
Hopefully, he installed a copy of Windows 7 that doesn't have issues with it.

-----------------------------------------------------------

TerryNet

First Name
Terry
The installation on my "OLD" computer was done with a disk by the technician. I wasn't aware MS could sell a program that doesn't work on "old" computers. I thought that was their purpose in life (to sell programs) for computers.
Yes, Microsoft wants to sell operating systems. Currently they are selling Windows 8.1, and pulled Windows 7 off the market some time ago (except for certain versions meant for new PCs).

If the technician installed a legit genuine Windows 7 Ultimate you paid several hundred dollars for it (maybe more than if you had just bought a refurbished PC with Windows 7 Home Premium or Pro) and you received the valid Product Key and the media needed to reinstall it. I suggest that you do now reinstall it; you shouldn't be having such problems with a newly installed system and maybe it's because of some glitch that happened during the installation.

If the technician installed a pirated and/or hacked version (which is almost guaranteed if in the last year or so) that is likely the source of the problems you have been having with it.

1951dodge

OK I found the service tag - 86PR4C1 and Express Code - 17820311473.
And I logged on to the Dell site and the only problem I found was the 2nd hard drive that was installed had some bad sectors. Now I am curious, if I reformat the larger hard drive will that fix the bad sectors? And If I reformat it, how do I get all the programs I loaded on it and files back to the new one I may purchase??
Do I mke a copy to another hard drive and copy it back? I am not sure of this or how to get it done.
Thanks for your input.

1951dodge

Terrynet, we have been through this once before on this site, This is a legitimate version of Windows 7 Ultimate. I have the proper Product Key and have done all the tests TechSupport requested previously when I asked for some help with VSS and SPP problems. I am still having those problems and some new quirks as well. I went to Dell and the only problem they found today after running several tests on this computer was bad sectors in my back up drive (2nd one), which I don't feel should affect the C Drive which is where Windows is installed. So beyond buying a new PC how do I get these off beat problems solved or can I.
Thanks for your input.

TerryNet

First Name
Terry
Terrynet, we have been through this once before on this site
Thanks. I found and reviewed two threads.

If someday down the road you want to reinstall Microsoft has recently made it possible for us to get Windows 7 media: Welcome to Microsoft Software Recovery.

if I reformat the larger hard drive will that fix the bad sectors?
I think not. Run disk check, or some similar program that will attempt to fix errors. Once a hard drive gets an error or two it may still last a good while or it may go downhill quickly. Best to copy your data elsewhere.

flavallee

Trusted Advisor
First Name
Frank
Hard Drives: C: Total - 76190 MB, Free - 26039 MB; D: Total - 476858 MB, Free - 456537 MB

I logged on to the Dell site and the only problem I found was the 2nd hard drive that was installed had some bad sectors.
I previously assumed your Dell has an internal 80 GB hard drive and has an external 500 GB hard drive connected to it, so thanks for clarifying to us that it actually has 2 internal hard drives.

Terrynet, we have been through this once before on this site, This is a legitimate version of Windows 7 Ultimate. I have the proper Product Key and have done all the tests TechSupport requested previously when I asked for some help with VSS and SPP problems.
If a question comes up again in the future about the legitimacy of Windows 7 Ultimate in your Dell, please make us aware of this.

----------------------------------------------------------------

1951dodge

OK Tech Support, now that we have determined the legitamacy of the Dell and the Windows Program, HOW do we resolve the constant problems with MS Updating ( have to click on you want them almost every time you log on), the SSP and VSS problems with recorded music (which I have the CD's for and have ripped them several times because windows Explorer is the wrong version? I am using 11 not 7 and it will not retain the license?) Can I solve any of these problems without reverting to downloading the IOS of Windows 7 and trying to reinstall it??
Surely TechSupport has a fix for the constant problems I am having? Other than to purchase a newer PC. I am not a gamer so as long as the PC plays music and I can do my files I am happy. Hopefully you have some suggestions that I can work with.
Thanks for your responses in any event.

TonyB25

Banned
When you say Windows Explorer, you must mean Internet Explorer since Windows Explorer doesn't have different version numbers on the same operating system.

I don't know what Internet Explorer would have to do with playing back music. What program are you trying to play music files with? What kind of errors are you getting?

1951dodge

IE is what I meant. You need IE because of the license factor (DRM) which I can't upgrade because of the so called version of IE. But I am using 12 and most music I have recorded plays with a few exceptions. I am still battling SSP and VSS problems which I don't know why they crop up. I am using windows media to play the music which are from CD's I own and have downloaded. Some even stay in the media files, some just go away (who knows where). But it is annoying to be playing a selection and the damned MS error comes up that you don't have a license and need IE 7 or better to update to get it?
Anyway that is where I am at.
Thanks for the input, TonyB25

TonyB25

Banned
I haven't ripped a CD in years, so I don't know how you'd end up with DRM protection on your own ripped music.

VSS is Volume Shadow Copy? What errors are you getting with that, and what does that have to do with music?

I don't know what SSP is.

I don't know how files disappear. That's never happened to me before. Is someone else using your computer?

1951dodge

TonyB25 - thanks for your response. Your questions are interesting but do not answer the problems I have posted on this thread. I have had problems with VSS and SPP (trying to do image backups with Windows 7), I am having problems with automatic updates (I have to click on "automatic" almost every day to get the updates), so it has to be some kind of bug, and finally when I rip a CD (which I own) and try to play the music it comes up with an error message that IE 7 needs to be upgraded. The message is I need DRM to be updated but I have tried that and cannot get the updated on MS tab to work (I am not alone on this if you check some web sites and correspondence with MS). The end result is I can't play the music I copied and downloaded to my computer. No one else uses this computer. The instructions to run as administrator do not seem to work either.
Just another problem - which I am grappling with.
Can anybody explain how you get to the elevated mode on your own computer when you right click on the command prompt - it sends you to the system32? So what do you do then - type in some kind of code or another command? I am lost at that point. Anyway I haven't gotten that to work. I am still copying my music and hoping after two or three times that it stays in the music folder and I can play it.
Enjoy your day

TerryNet

First Name
Terry
Can anybody explain how you get to the elevated mode on your own computer when you right click on the command prompt - it sends you to the system32?
That's exactly what you do. The elevated command prompt defaults to prompt "C:\Windows\system32>" and the window title is "Administrator: Command Prompt."

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online