1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 8.1 booting into DVD

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by galaga-girl, Feb 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. galaga-girl

galaga-girl Thread Starter

OMG, this computer is driving me INSANE. I've been sitting here for 4 hours going in circles!!!!
    Last week what worked for my laptop is not working on this darn PC.
    I have a HP 20-2002a All-In-One desktop and I want to get rid of Windows 8.1 and put Windows 7 on it.
    It won't let me just do that from the disc, and when I go to the bios to disable the UFEI option it does it but then when I choose to enable the Legacy it keeps telling me that I have to disable the UFEI first even though I have. Everytime I check the option it is disabled but it keeps saying when I try to enable Legacy that I have to disable UFEI. ARGGGG, I'm going nuts. Why the hell do Microsoft make it so damn hard! It is getting harder and harder to purchase their products.

I can't get it to boot from the disc. I've tried everything and been googling like crazy.

Can anyone help me??

2. Tabvla

Tabvla

Simply as a matter of interest, why would you want to move from W8.1 back to W7..?

From a coding perspective, W8.1 is W7 with additional features which you don't have to use if you don' t want to. Or perhaps you don't like the way in which W8.1 interacts with the User through the UI...? But that isn't a reason to return to W7, you can simply make W8.1 look, feel and behave just like W7, if that is your preference. And you don't need to download or install any 3rd-party rubbish to make W8.1 behave like W7 - it is all built in to the OS.

I know that what I have written does not answer your question, but it is a retrograde step to move backwards to W7. And I am just curious to know why someone, such as yourself, who is obviously intelligent and knowledgeable about technology would want to do that. Perhaps I am missing something...:confused:

T.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    These are instructions that I obtained awhile back on downgrading a new HP computer to Windows 7 that comes with Windows 8.

I personally have never used Windows 8, so I can't guarantee they'll work.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Go to the Charms bar in Windows 8, then select:
    Settings
    Change PC Settings
    General
    Advanced StartUp

On the next screen, select:
    Troubleshoot
    Advanced Options
    UEFI Firmware Settings

(Note: This option is available only on new computers that come with Windows 8)

Change it from "UEFI Boot Mode" to "Legacy BIOS Boot Mode".

Insert the Windows 7 disc.

-----------------------------------------------------------

4. stocker340

stocker340

tabvla

Good point why would you revert to windows 7??
    Put a start button on it and you have windows 7 just better then 7!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143505

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice