1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 8.1 causing blank text?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Techlover1, Apr 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Techlover1

Techlover1 Thread Starter

I recently installed Windows 8.1 about five days ago. At first I noticed nothing but some blank text on Steam and a forum. I didn't pay it much attention at first and shrugged it off as the websites having problems. After two days I found there was missing text all over my computer. Some Websites and my desktop programs are missing texts. For example when firefox crashes and the menu pops up saying it crashed and would I like to restart all the text is missing. Other examples are as follows (My apologies for the large images, I didn't know how to make them smaller):

[​IMG]

There are missing numbers and in some cases % signs all over Steam. The red boxes show where the missing prices are.

[​IMG]
    The above is an install for HoxHud which is missing the text in the buttons.

[​IMG]YouTube Downloader also suffers from the same problem.

[​IMG]

The Starcraft II website is now void of small text. At first it was missing some letters and the text was almost unreadable but over the last few days trying to fix it the small text has completely disappeared (I have idea what I did to cause that.

[​IMG]

I really don't think I need to explain what's missing here.

[​IMG]
    The texts in the red banner on the main page of Tech Support Guy is also missing. The black box shows where.

There are also other programs with missing texts I can't find my way back to that suffer the same problem. This all started right after updating to windows 8.1. I am unable to restore back to Windows 8 for my computer requires a recovery disk that didn't come with the computer. Can someone please help me with this?

2. CleaverX

CleaverX

These issues can be caused by a corrupt or outdated .Net Framework component.
    After you installed 8.1 did you also install every single required Windows update?

3. Techlover1

I was unaware those updates did not install with 8.1. I went back and installed them (after searching high and low) but the problem has not been fixed.

4. CleaverX

CleaverX

OK be sure to look at the optional updates as well, and chances are there will be more updates pursuant the initial ones. Some updates do not become available until the previous update has been installed.

5. Techlover1

Every update I could install has been installed and the problem persist.

6. Techlover1

Still need help with missing text.

7. CleaverX

CleaverX

Have you already checked the system files for errors? Open a command prompt 'As Administrator', then type sfc /scannow hit 'enter' wait for the process to complete.

8. Techlover1

It gets to 38% and stops saying:

"Windows Resource Protection could not preform the requested operation"

Not sure what that means.

9. Techlover1

Haven't solved the problem yet, can anyone explain the above to me please?

10. CleaverX

CleaverX

OK so you have bad corruption is some system files, try to run sfc /scannow but with the Windows installation dvd in the tray. If that still does not work, you are going to have to backup your files, do hardware diagnostics against both your hard drive and system memory, then if all passes, do a full refresh of your system.

11. Techlover1

There is one problem with that, I don't have a windows installation dvd, it didn't come with one from the manufacture or so the person who gifted it me said. I've tried rebooting the system and it wouldn't reboot/refresh. Basically this computer is the mother of all annoyances when it comes to repairing it.

12. CleaverX

CleaverX

Sorry but your initial post reads: "I recently installed Windows 8.1 about five days ago"
    How did you manage without an installation disk?

13. Techlover1

Update.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146419

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice