1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 8.1 Desktop Blank upon logging in

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by cmkuss, Jan 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmkuss

cmkuss Thread Starter

So I turned off my computer 2 days ago for the night, I came home the next day, and turned it on. It booted up just fine, and it brought me right to th login screen. I logged in, but when it would normally display my desktop, it just showed a black screen. I have lots of random programs that install those "clean my pc" things into my computer, and after it showed me the blank desktop, one of those threat detected things popped up in the corner. Obviously there wasbt anything, it's essentially just an ad, but I clicked on it knowing it opens my browser. I searched ways to fix it, and ended up having to manually run the file from chrome "msconfig.exe". I then clicked the boost option tab, and selected safe mode then the first option. I restarted my pc, and it booted in safe mode just fine. But now instead of "PIN" on login screen, is asks for my "password". I've tried all of my passwords and everything I would put for it, but it just says its incorrect. This is the only account on my PC as Its a custom build and I uploaded the OS myself, but I don't know if I ever set an admin password or anything. I don't beleive so though. So here I am stuck in safe mode not knowing my password, and my desktop won't show, and doesn't respond to my mouse. Like I could click around ad move it but didn't do anything no matter where I clicked. I need help on this, as this is a very expensive PC with lots of important files on it. I can't afford to lose them.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142175

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice