1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 8.1 Disk Usage jumps to 100% after sleep?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by taytar2, Dec 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taytar2

taytar2 Thread Starter

Very frequently my laptops disk usage (as seen in task manager) jumps to 100% even if the all the programs below use anywhere between 0 MB/s to .5 MB?s. I've tried disabling superfetch and windows search. I've also already increased the maximum disk usage allowed. When the disk usage raises this high, usually on start up or when opening a new process, my laptop hangs and indefinitely refuses to respond until a forced shutdown and restart.

2. Tabvla

Tabvla

Hi Taytar2, welcome to the TSG Forums :D

In Task Manager, if you click on the resource being monitored (in this case you want to click on Disk) then the process that is using most of that resource will jump to the top of the list of processes - which W8.1 simply labels as "Name". If you Right-click anywhere on the Headers a drop-down Menu will appear. In that Menu you can click on "Process Name" to see the actual name of the executable program that is associated with "Name".

In a Windows environment all programs (which are a passive concept) must have at least one Process running (which is an active concept) when the program is called. You may however, need to login as an Administrator in order to see all the currently running processes.

T.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1139359

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice