1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 8.1 I have Dell Optiplex 780. How to connect to HDTV?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TarquinThyroid, Apr 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TarquinThyroid

TarquinThyroid Thread Starter

Hello,
    See Question-title. I have USBs a male 9-pin VGA output, a display port, and another narrow slit port (not HDMI) I've tried a Display port to HDMI cable into TV but no joy. when I click on "device managers" I have three ports: Com1, ECP printer (LPT1) and Intel Active mangament technology SOL (COM)3

my TV is a Samsung HD with two HDMI ports. a 15 hole female VGA, and 2 scarts. I would be happy to get only visual to TV at the moment but how? Regarding audio, let's leave that for another time.

I tried calling Samsung but lines were busy: I'll try again. Any help appreciated.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi TarquinThyroid, and welcome to TSG.

I am unable to find any information on Dell Optimex computers. Do you perhaps have a Dell Optiplex 780 computer?

If so, a simple passive Display Port to HDMI cable will not work for you. That type of cable only works with devices that have a dual mode Display Port (DP++) output. Per the following page on a Dell forum, Optiplex computers do not support DP++ outputs. You would need a powered Display Port to HDMI adapter or active cable to make the conversion.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3515/t/19497378

Do you have a basic passive Display Port to HDMI cable or an active Display Port to HDMI converter cable?

The 9 pin connector on your computer is most likely a serial port. If it is an Optiplex 780, there should also be a 15 pin VGA female connector on the back. That should work with a suitable VGA cable to connect to the VGA port on the TV.

3. TarquinThyroid

TarquinThyroid Thread Starter

Thanks for help. Yes sorry: it is Optiplex.
    I've tried searching with words,"Powered displayport to HDMI adapter," but the word "powered" doesn't appear. However on ebay I have seen ,
    "4K Active Displayport to HDMI Adap cable Eyefinity for surface pro AC448." will that be oK? It's cheap at £7.50 and free p&p. On Amazon the adaptors are more expensive. If you are not sure about that one can you please tell me of a specific one that you know will work?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The Surface tablets have a mini-DisplayPort port, you want a full sized DisplayPort to HDMI Active Adapter.

5. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Check the adapter's photos, product description, or specifications. It should have some type of power input connector. It may be a USB port of some type (typically mini-USB) or a round connector with center pin. If there is no information saying the unit needs an external power source, there is a very good chance it is a passive cable or cable adapter that will only work with a Display Port DP++ signal source. If it is USB powered, your computer may be able to supply the power with a suitable USB cable that may or may not be supplied with the adapter.

6. lynx1021

lynx1021

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1189167

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice