Windows 8.1 Idle for a couple years...

patmac

Normally this is where I would insert the System Utility Tool info, however, I disconnected the internet from this machine(not the one I'm on here) because I presently don't want it talking to "HAL" or "VIKI" yet for updates etc.. until I see where it stands.
Its a HP Envy, about 4 years old at the most.
Windows 8.1
64 Bit, 8GB of RAM
My immediate issue is in regards to Windows Update. The main windows update page says most recent check for updates was today at 14:54, about when I powered it up(but there weren't any....in almost two years?).
Updates were installed last: 10/22/2018.
When I go to Change Windows Update Settings, I can't change, Under Important Updates, the selection from "Install updates automatically(recommended)" to anything else, even though I'm logged in as an Administrator(pretty sure about this, I can change date/time).
Is this enough to start with? Or am I over thinking this. I'm guessing MS is going to want me to eat Windows 10.
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Normally this is where I would insert the System Utility Tool info, however, I disconnected the internet from this machine(not the one I'm on here) because I presently don't want it talking to "HAL" or "VIKI" yet for updates etc.. until I see where it stands.
Please do not use HAL and VIKI
it causes people trying to help more work, to establish what you refer to,

HOWEVER to deal with the actual problem
A computer will show checking for updates - even if it effectively cannot check for updates
and in your case it cannot as the computer is not connected to the internet
The microsoft update servers scan your computer for the installed updates, and then offer the required updates.
Without an internet connection it simpy cannot work - albeit it will still report checking for updates.

Your best approach is to connect to the internet and whatever HAL and VICKI are - disable those and then if you do not run them they cannot check for updates.

patmac

Thank you for your time.
The problem is, I'm logged into the Administrator account, and I cannot change any of the Windows Update settings. At: Control Panel->Windows Update->Change Settings. Could I have not setup the Admin account correctly? The system lets me change the time zone.....
HAL refers to the AI computer from the 1968 Stanley Kubrick movie; 2001 A Space Odyssey. HAL becomes self-aware and takes over the mission. Advance each letter in "HAL", and you get IBM. VIKI ( Virtual Interactive Kinetic Intelligence) is from I, Robot, 2004 film with Will Smith in it. VIKI becomes self aware, and rationalizes a way around the three laws of robotics, and takes over.
I sincerely apologize for the confusion this caused. I was simply trying to throw in some "AI/Big Computer"(MS) references into the post.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Leaving the setting issue for the time being
The $1000 dollar question is
what happens when you connect to the internet and then click -check for updates

patmac

For the 756 pound sterling, question:
I did check for updates, it found 7 important ones, so I went ahead and installed....an hour later, the laptop still appears as it was prior to the updates, everything downloaded, installed and rebooted fine. Originally, this un-called for phobia stemmed from my worry, Windows 10 would be burried in one of the updates....that's how long ago I've worked on any of my PCs on this level. I've attached a pic of the Update Setting screen(which I'm sure you already know what I'm talking about) to show the setting I want to(and think I should be able to) change.
Thank you again for your time.

Attachments

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
If it has not updated for 2 years, seven is only the start of the process, you need to lave it to update further
Not until it is fully updated is it really viable to start making further checks on the system as a whole and the apparent inability to change updates configuration.
With referecne to the message - some settings are managed by your system administrator - what Anti virus is in use
The included Windows Defender or a third party one.

patmac

Avast Free Edition, Malwarebytes Free and SuperAntispyware. I run these a couple times a month as standalones(not running in the background).
As on all my machines, I use a general user account with limited permissions to face the internet, along with an administrator account when doing updates or installing something etc..
So, are you saying Windows Update is not up to date?
Is the threat of Windows 10 being in one of the ensuing updates still a reality?
Thanks

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
No 10 is no longer offered via updates as an automatic install.
I presume avast free is running
This may very well be the cause of the report regarding your attempt to change windows update settings
Uninstall Avast Free
https://support.avast.com/en-gb/article/Uninstall-Antivirus/
using programs and features
shutdown the computer then reboot and run the avast tool
https://support.avast.com/en-gb/article/10/
NOTE your procesor has sse2 so use the edition on the link
TAKE CARE you are only deleting avast entries

Reboot to normal mode it should automatically do so
Check that on windows security in settings
https://www.winhelp.us/configure-windows-defender-in-windows-8.html

then when it is enabled check again on coinfiguring updates

patmac

I always hate "splitting hairs", but what exactly do you mean by "Avast Free is running"? I'm under the impression the free version of anything does not run behind the scenes......please set me straight on this.
Task Manager only show some Avast items running small percents under "Processes".
Thanks.
ps Do you follow football at all?

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Avast free antivirus runs as a real time protection sysytem, unless you turn it off
Please follow my advice and uninstall it as per my last post
As it is the free version you will have no problem reinstalling, at a later date should you wish to do so.

patmac

Tried uninstalling Avast under Programs and Features, am told I do not have sufficient access to uninstall Avast Free Antivirus, Please contact your system administrator. Tried this initially from the General User account...had to enter Admin password, got the same as above.
Some observations which may or may not be meaningful: in the general user account, under programs and features it had the following listed, regarding Avast:
Avast Free AV
Avast Secure Browser
Avast SecureLine
Avast SecureLine VPN
Same under "admin" account

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Do not use the general user account
follow the link details

If that does not work
go to a cmd prompt with admin rights
issue this cmd

net user administrator /active:yes

you should receive reply command completed successfully
Now shut down and then log in on the account named
admin
not one of your named user accounts

then try and uninstall avast

patmac

Tried the above. There are two command prompts that come up, I used the one that said "Administrator". Got the completed successfully reply. Shutdown and came back up. Logged in what I'm beginning to think is only a named, locked, password entry account. It definitely has different permissions than the "general" account. Logged into the password protected account and tried to uninstall Avast from Programs and Features and got the "you have insufficient access to uninstall Avast" note again.

patmac

I ran the tool in the first link in post#8. It said it went through ok, safe mode, deleted the Avast items, rebooted, came back. Still cannot change update settings. Avast Free is gone, however, Avast Secure Browser, SecureLine and VPN are still in Programs and Features. The second link you gave in post#8, appears to get me to the same uninstall tool. I did use the one for sse2.
I was able to uninstall Avast Browser, VPN and SecureLine from Program and Features. However, SecureLine stated some of the elements could not be removed and would need to be removed manually.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online