Windows 8.1 Idle for a couple years...

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Try this one please
download the attached file
save it to your desktop
extract
double click the extracted folder which will show as dm log collector in a yellow folder without the zip mark

another window will open double click that entry
let it run having given permission on UAC and pressed any key as shown on the cmd window
It will place a zip file on the desktop
attach that using the attach file button on your reply

Attachments

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Re the attempts to get the previous log collector - I owe you an apology
It is entirely my error
I somehow managed to forget that the V2 log collector will not run on windows 8.1
I can only say how sorry I am for that oversight.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Indeed it is, once again sorry for my error
There is evidence of McAfee still having parts of it left
The access history in hive \??\C:\Users\al\AppData\Local\Packages\2703103D.McAfeeCentral_4ehj4w4frejdr\Settings\settings.dat was cleared updating 2 keys and creating 1 modified pages.

Please run the McAfee tool see if it finds it
https://service.mcafee.com/webcente...terWidth=100%25&_adf.ctrl-state=38tkyt3uv_294

please follow method 2

patmac

Did as requested.
Got an "Incomplete Uninstallation" message with a log which I viewed and saved. Was originally going to paste it here, but was too big. Then realized instructions at McAfee said to restart and run the tool again. Result was the same....incomplete uninstall...and a log. Saved the second log as text files onto my desktop. Strange(maybe not to you) thing is the properties of the first log shows about 860KB, and after the restart and running the tool a second time, the log file got bigger....now 1.68MB
Thank you

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Well the log file increase is to be expected
as the second one is more or less twice the size of the first one

See if Defender will now turn on please, it may just ow accept the request as incomplete uninstall suggests some was uninstalled.

Last edited:

patmac

I still get "this app has been turned off and isn't monitoring your computer when I click on Windows Defender.
Under "security" in the Action Center(via Control Panel), it looks different than before. Malwarebytes protection is on, we did that a while ago. Can't change Windows update settings. "Check for updates " only produced the 7 optional ones from last week, again.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I regret to say that having examined the log and seeing nothing that is obviously to blame for the situation regarding Defender, apart from the mentioned McAfee, and not knowing the real cuase of this or the updates I can only suggest that you either go for a clean install of 8.1 providing you can of course reinstall the apps you have as all will be deleted.

Your personal data by way of music, pics docs etc can be saved to a flash pen and then restored to the new system.

I have come to the conclusion, that whllst I do NOT know the cause, and it cannot be Windows files themselves as we have done a repair install, we are not going to fix this problem without a clean install.

Alternatively you may take the plunge and upgrade to 10 OR revert to as was, cancel the remaning time of the trial period for malwarebytes use that as you did a scan on dmeand only and then go back to AVAST

I would not recommend you reinstall SAS. It was orignally merely an antispyware, adware app
It changed some years ago and is now far more than that.
https://www.superantispyware.com/
Good as it maybe, it is IMHO unnecessary with another AV and malwarebytes scan on demand.

I am sorry I made no real progress. You were good to work with.

patmac

Many thanks for your effort and TIME.
I just found three of three "HP System Recovery DVDs, Windows Recovery Media for 8.1 Products".
It's the only HP machine in the house with W8.1 on it.
Just a few remaining questions if you will, please;

Should these discs do the clean install?
There's a RECOVERY(D) drive on the PC. What is that?
Do I just need to take a pic of the Product Key? Do I need anything else for the clean install?
Should I mark this thread solved and start a new one for the clean install? Or is the clean install pretty straight forward?

Thank you again for your time.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
The recovery drive
D: 25 GB (2 GB Free);
is the means of recovering to HOW the laptop was when sold
So if it was originally windows 8 that is what it would go back to and then you would have to update to 8.1
As you also have recovery discs for windows 8.1 it would suggest that the laptop came with 8.1

You should NOT need the key as the 8.1 key will be embedded in the firmware and now registered on the Micorsoft servers against the hardware hash of the laptop.

To start again you follow this
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03546603

or this if you want a complete clean install without the HP Software
https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c03963609

If you go for thta option read this it is a better guide
https://www.eightforums.com/threads/clean-install-windows-8.2299/

DEPENDING on which your HP Envy is
https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c03489643

THIS IS YOUR actual system =
https://support.hp.com/us-en/produc...k-pc-series/7527524/model/7757373?sku=K2S67AV

and from that link
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04510290
your service manual provides full instructions on pages 84 to 86

Any questions please ask - DO NOT FORGET to backup yours personal files

patmac

As always, I pay pretty good attention to your info and links.
Unfortunately, Post#70 has offered me some confusion.
Reading the links, there seems to be a blurry line between having Windows 8 and or having it been "upgraded to 8.1. In my situation, I seem to remember(however vaguely) purchasing the recovery discs when I ordered the laptop. The discs say....windows 8.1 products.
Also, in some of the links provided, the author gets into which partition etc.. I have a fair understanding of partitions and their use, but I'm pretty confused here.
I got this for my son to take to college. While there he had to take it to the campus tech center to address some sort of issue with connecting to the school's inter(a)net.
Bottom line is....he needs absolutely nothing on it, and I'm looking for the easiest way to make this a functional basic laptop...for household use. I'd like to keep Word etc.., need the camera for virtual interviews(been laid off due to covid-19), so I'm guessing a reset back to factory settings etc..is best. MS Office may have been an add-on via MS365 for school work.
I apologize for the confusion, Hopefully I'll get a chance to go over all Post#70 material and make some more sense out of it before you get back to me.
Thank you again.
PS.....should I start a new thread, or do I want to keep this one going until the Defender issue is put to bed?

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
There is no need to start a new thread, it will be in the same forum and there is no advantage in doing so.
If it were me I would go for windows 10
I know you said you do not want to, but at this time, the move to 10 is FREE from 8.1 - how long that will stay the case I have no idea, but it was still working earlier today, when I guided a friend through the procedure on an Asus computer he had just bought secondhand - with 8.1

10 is far better than 8.1 and indeed the number of people who have stayed with 8.1 is extremely small in comparison with the vast numbers that have moved.

if you are definite that you do not want to go with 10, then were it to be me I would get rid of all the HP bloatware and do a complete and absolute clean install of 8.1. Especially as you say there is nothing you need to save.

That is as on my previous post
or this if you want a complete clean install without the HP Software
https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c03963609

If you go for that option read this it is a better guide
https://www.eightforums.com/threads/clean-install-windows-8.2299/
You should not need the licence key but if one was provided it will be on a label on the base of the laptop, or sometimes underneath the battery
Most computers with windows 8.1 pre isnatlled did not come with a product key it being embedded in the firmware

So in summary my advice is firstly and IMHO the best - go for 10
If you do not like it you can go back to 8.1

Secondly as I said a clean install as outlined above.
Any HP software that is found to be needed can stil be downloaded from the HP site link I sent you for your computer.

If you let me know which you decide I will guide you as necessary
10 is suitable for your computer and all drivers required are on the HP site.

patmac

For better or for worse, you are stuck with me for a while longer.
The Desktop I have been using through all this is Windows 10 Home, Version 2004. Says installed on 8/1/20(is this right?) An FYI, back when I started using W10, I was told here(TSG), the resident security is quite adequate. I installed(out of habit MAB and SAS) as stand alones.
There is literally nothing on the Envy we need.
So, with your suggestion, I have no reservations about converting to W10....what do I need to start?
What's the best way to do this?
I'm not sure if my son's Windows 365 is still a part of this or not(expired).
Thank you

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I see no evidence of 365
You should know if it is still there and active by going apps and then office

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
To clean install 10 you follow this
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-clean-install-windows-10-a.html

Firstly go here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

download the media creation tool onto the windows 10 computer
when selecting the choices choose 64bit and the lanaguage of your current version of 8.1
that is found as it shows on the link

• Language in Windows. You'll need to choose the same language when you install Windows 10. To see what language you're currently using, go to Time and language in PC settings or Region in Control Panel.
Then as you have windows 8.1 you can see from the link that the tool will create the Windows 10 installation media and when installing, the system will know that you have 8.1 and you will get Windows 10 (Home) just as if you had 8.1 Pro you would get 10 Pro

Create that install media - your 10 computer will do it automatically when you selecxt your USB pen, it being connected of course.
DO NOT use Rufus or any other third party tool to make the usb
The usb is bootable either in UEFI mode or legacy mode - you want UEFI mode
I know you had problems booting from a usb before when we were trying to run the Defender offline scan, but you should not have problems now booting from this one.

When you have the USB made asnd have booted the computer from the USB post back if necessary - after referring to the link above - the first link on this post - if you have any questions.

PLEASE ENSURE you delete all partitions on the drive, so that you then have a total capacity of unallocated space - windows installation wil automatically partition that drive for you

ON item 9 on the installation guide the first link on this post you having selected - do not have product key must then select edition for installation IF ASKED see item 9 - you select windows 10 Home.

IF YOU have a Micorsoft account and you wish to use it on this computer then it is item 8 on the install guide.
OR of course you may use a local account the choice is yours.
As you may know from your desktop - the microsoft account gives you more options and is necessary for some items such as Windows Store.
It also of course makes file sharing etc so much easier, but as you may also know it is sometimes a little too intrusive in some peroples opinion.

ANY QUESTIONS please ask

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online