Windows 8.1 Idle for a couple years...

patmac

Reply to Post#74
I see MS365 under Programs and Features, but that's it. I see references to Office under apps.

patmac

MS 365 is under Program and Features, my only options are Uninstall or Change. Strangely, the system says it was installed on 9/10/20. Unless that's when an update was made to it.
Need to state here my curiosity(and experience of a clean W8 install) is stalling my decision to go to W10.
I have no idea what a clean install is like. No Bloatware etc..
Will there be Word, a browser etc..?
I apologize for asking, what should I expect functionality wise?
Will there be apps an ignorant user takes for granted, that won't be there?
I'm guessing anything Microsoft or HP will be there. Anything other than that will be gone.

patmac

Yes, I can open Excel, Word etc...Also found documentation it's good until 2/2022. It's a University(college) addition, so I'm guessing since no one is in college any more(they use a college/University email for verification), that'll be the end of it...or the end of that pricing.

patmac

Yes.
The only place I could find it, was in the original email confirmation, from back in Feb of 2014.
I've since renewed it.
Does that sound right?

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Well if you have the key you can reinstall it after the clean install of 10

patmac

Before we start the W10 upgrade, a few questions.
Can I make the ISO(?) image on the 16GB Lexar thumb drive I used to make the W8 Repair installation on?
Will I be making the W10 install via my W10 machine, which is only being used as a connection?
Per Post#17, and the TSG Info, is the laptop in good order for Windows 10, spec wise?
Also to note. I'm out of work, so there may be gaps in me getting back to you as I do work search. If that's not acceptable(and it's your call) should we wait to do the upgrade until a more stable date?

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Yes you can make it on the Lexar whatever is on now will be deleted
I do not understand the question re making the install via the windoiws 10 machine
Use that computer to make the usb
then boot the 8.1 computer with the usb

Yes the computer is good for 10 as I said
10 is suitable for your computer and all drivers required are on the HP site.
No problem in you getting back when you are ready

patmac

I read through the steps to do a clean W10 install. I can foresee me getting through the following:
-create a Windows 10 boot media using my W10 machine
-disable secure boot and change boot order on the Windows 8 machine
-follow the Tutorial from TenForums.
After reading through the entire tutorial, I see many places for directional issues(many questions from me) to arise.
All that said, I request your opinion
Our younger son returned home from another part of the country because his job went away due to COVID. The Windows 8 machine is what he used in college a few years ago, and I was just trying to see if everything on it was up to snuff.....thus I headed down the Windows Defender rabbit hole.
I'm using the Windows 10 machine for my job search, the only other available PC is his Windows 8 machine for him to use for job searching, Zoom interviews etc...
If that didn't put you to sleep, in your opinion, what would be the fastest way to get another usable PC here?
Clean install of Windows 8 or the installation of Windows 10? Keeping in mind, the repair install we did was one of the more advanced software procedures I've done...…
Thank you again for your time.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
If you want your son to use that computer I feel certain he will want windows 10 on it

patmac

Still haven't gotten around to working on the W8 machine, but stumbled across something which may or may not be meaningful to what we were seeing on the W8 machine in this thread. Turns out another son has a Toshiba with 8.1 also. Windows Defender is off(no, didn't try turning it on) since yours truly installed Avast Free, SAS and Malwarebytes at some point. What I did get to check was, if I could change the Windows Update settings, and I can. His laptop only has a password protected admin account on it. When I get a chance (still looking for work), I will see if I can turn on Defender.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts