Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows 8.1 Idle for a couple years...

Solved 
12K views 153 replies 4 participants last post by  patmac 
#1 ·
Normally this is where I would insert the System Utility Tool info, however, I disconnected the internet from this machine(not the one I'm on here) because I presently don't want it talking to "HAL" or "VIKI" yet for updates etc.. until I see where it stands.
Its a HP Envy, about 4 years old at the most.
Windows 8.1
64 Bit, 8GB of RAM
My immediate issue is in regards to Windows Update. The main windows update page says most recent check for updates was today at 14:54, about when I powered it up(but there weren't any....in almost two years?).
Updates were installed last: 10/22/2018.
When I go to Change Windows Update Settings, I can't change, Under Important Updates, the selection from "Install updates automatically(recommended)" to anything else, even though I'm logged in as an Administrator(pretty sure about this, I can change date/time).
Is this enough to start with? Or am I over thinking this. I'm guessing MS is going to want me to eat Windows 10.
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.

#2 ·
Normally this is where I would insert the System Utility Tool info, however, I disconnected the internet from this machine(not the one I'm on here) because I presently don't want it talking to "HAL" or "VIKI" yet for updates etc.. until I see where it stands.
Please do not use HAL and VIKI
it causes people trying to help more work, to establish what you refer to,

HOWEVER to deal with the actual problem
A computer will show checking for updates - even if it effectively cannot check for updates
and in your case it cannot as the computer is not connected to the internet
The microsoft update servers scan your computer for the installed updates, and then offer the required updates.
Without an internet connection it simpy cannot work - albeit it will still report checking for updates.

Your best approach is to connect to the internet and whatever HAL and VICKI are - disable those and then if you do not run them they cannot check for updates.

#3 ·
Thank you for your time.
The problem is, I'm logged into the Administrator account, and I cannot change any of the Windows Update settings. At: Control Panel->Windows Update->Change Settings. Could I have not setup the Admin account correctly? The system lets me change the time zone.....
HAL refers to the AI computer from the 1968 Stanley Kubrick movie; 2001 A Space Odyssey. HAL becomes self-aware and takes over the mission. Advance each letter in "HAL", and you get IBM. VIKI ( Virtual Interactive Kinetic Intelligence) is from I, Robot, 2004 film with Will Smith in it. VIKI becomes self aware, and rationalizes a way around the three laws of robotics, and takes over.
I sincerely apologize for the confusion this caused. I was simply trying to throw in some "AI/Big Computer"(MS) references into the post.

#4 ·
Leaving the setting issue for the time being
The $1000 dollar question is
what happens when you connect to the internet and then click -check for updates

#5 ·
For the 756 pound sterling, question:
I did check for updates, it found 7 important ones, so I went ahead and installed....an hour later, the laptop still appears as it was prior to the updates, everything downloaded, installed and rebooted fine. Originally, this un-called for phobia stemmed from my worry, Windows 10 would be burried in one of the updates....that's how long ago I've worked on any of my PCs on this level. I've attached a pic of the Update Setting screen(which I'm sure you already know what I'm talking about) to show the setting I want to(and think I should be able to) change.
Thank you again for your time.

Attachments

#6 ·
If it has not updated for 2 years, seven is only the start of the process, you need to lave it to update further
Not until it is fully updated is it really viable to start making further checks on the system as a whole and the apparent inability to change updates configuration.
With referecne to the message - some settings are managed by your system administrator - what Anti virus is in use
The included Windows Defender or a third party one.

#7 ·
Avast Free Edition, Malwarebytes Free and SuperAntispyware. I run these a couple times a month as standalones(not running in the background).
As on all my machines, I use a general user account with limited permissions to face the internet, along with an administrator account when doing updates or installing something etc..
So, are you saying Windows Update is not up to date?
Is the threat of Windows 10 being in one of the ensuing updates still a reality?
Thanks

#8 ·
No 10 is no longer offered via updates as an automatic install.
I presume avast free is running
This may very well be the cause of the report regarding your attempt to change windows update settings
Uninstall Avast Free
https://support.avast.com/en-gb/article/Uninstall-Antivirus/
using programs and features
shutdown the computer then reboot and run the avast tool
https://support.avast.com/en-gb/article/10/
NOTE your procesor has sse2 so use the edition on the link
TAKE CARE you are only deleting avast entries

Reboot to normal mode it should automatically do so
Check that on windows security in settings
https://www.winhelp.us/configure-windows-defender-in-windows-8.html

then when it is enabled check again on coinfiguring updates

#9 ·
I always hate "splitting hairs", but what exactly do you mean by "Avast Free is running"? I'm under the impression the free version of anything does not run behind the scenes......please set me straight on this.
Task Manager only show some Avast items running small percents under "Processes".
Thanks.
ps Do you follow football at all?

#10 ·
Avast free antivirus runs as a real time protection sysytem, unless you turn it off
Please follow my advice and uninstall it as per my last post
As it is the free version you will have no problem reinstalling, at a later date should you wish to do so.

#11 ·
Tried uninstalling Avast under Programs and Features, am told I do not have sufficient access to uninstall Avast Free Antivirus, Please contact your system administrator. Tried this initially from the General User account...had to enter Admin password, got the same as above.
Some observations which may or may not be meaningful: in the general user account, under programs and features it had the following listed, regarding Avast:
Avast Free AV
Avast Secure Browser
Avast SecureLine
Avast SecureLine VPN
Same under "admin" account

#12 ·
Do not use the general user account
follow the link details

If that does not work
go to a cmd prompt with admin rights
issue this cmd

net user administrator /active:yes

you should receive reply command completed successfully
Now shut down and then log in on the account named
admin
not one of your named user accounts

then try and uninstall avast

#13 ·
Tried the above. There are two command prompts that come up, I used the one that said "Administrator". Got the completed successfully reply. Shutdown and came back up. Logged in what I'm beginning to think is only a named, locked, password entry account. It definitely has different permissions than the "general" account. Logged into the password protected account and tried to uninstall Avast from Programs and Features and got the "you have insufficient access to uninstall Avast" note again.

#14 ·
Use the avast tool I sent you

#15 ·
I ran the tool in the first link in post#8. It said it went through ok, safe mode, deleted the Avast items, rebooted, came back. Still cannot change update settings. Avast Free is gone, however, Avast Secure Browser, SecureLine and VPN are still in Programs and Features. The second link you gave in post#8, appears to get me to the same uninstall tool. I did use the one for sse2.
I was able to uninstall Avast Browser, VPN and SecureLine from Program and Features. However, SecureLine stated some of the elements could not be removed and would need to be removed manually.

#16 ·
May I presume that windows defender is now turned on
as per my link in post 8
This one
https://www.winhelp.us/configure-windows-defender-in-windows-8.html

The second link you refer to is indeed the same, but straight to the tool - I provided it for your convenience.
and more to the point can you now change update settings
ALSO has it now found more updates, as I said after two years of no updates there will certainly be more than the mentioned 7

#17 ·
Windows Defender is still off. Each time I tried to do what the config link asked, for instance "click turn on now", nothing happens. Using hot keys (windows key+Q) and typing Defender, the word Defender comes up, but clicking on it only produces the following: this app has been turned off and isn't monitoring your computer". The only way I can get to Security and Maintenance is control panel->all control panel items->action center. Click on "turn on now", get...this app has been turned off etc.
On 9/5 I ran check for updates, there was only 1, KB4570508, didn't do anything. Logged off, shutdown, came back today and now an additional account showed up and that one update is gone. It said "administrator" so I clicked on it to see whats up. It has the same permissions as the password protected account, but the Desktop of the General User account, see pic please, circled, just appeared between yesterday and today.
Still cannot change settings in Windows Update. I ran the TSG info utility, attached below. Thanks.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1, 64 bit, Build 9600, Installed 20150414004622.000000-240
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 61 Stepping 4, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 671 GB (616 GB Free); D: 25 GB (2 GB Free);
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 2298, ver 78.21, s/n PEWNL008J8G04M
System: Insyde, ver HPQOEM - 1, s/n 5CD51426L5
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

Attachments

#18 · (Edited)
and an additional account showed up and that one update is gone. It said "administrator" so I clicked on it to see whats up. It has the same permissions as the password protected account, but the Desktop of the General User account, see pic please, circled, just appeared between yesterday and today.
That is the account that we enabled with the instruction I sent you
net user active YES
on post 12

net user administrator /active:yes

you should receive reply command completed successfully
Now shut down and then log in on the account named
admin
not one of your named user accounts
which should have been there AFTER that cmd - often that account will allow you to configure Defender and windows update settings when permissions are wrong on your named user account with admin rights

SEE this
https://www.eightforums.com/threads/windows-defender-turn-on-or-off-in-windows-8.21962/

follow OPTION 2 please
To Turn On or Off Windows Defender using a REG file
Obviously the TURN ON option

#19 ·
Did as requested in post#18
Still same outcome when clicking on "turn on" or "start now" for Windows Defender:
"This app has been turned off and isn't monitoring your computer"
Also, if I try to access Windows Defender from the desktop....search and type it in, it comes up and when I click on it...I get: "This app has been turned off etc..."
The only way(may have mentioned this) to get to Security and Maintenance and try clicking on "turn on", is via Control Panel->Action Center. Windows Update settings still not changing. Checked for updates, no important ones, only 7 optionals that have been there for a while.
I never get the user interface like in the TenForums reg screen shot.
Did this from the new administrator account.
Thanks for your continued efforts...

#20 ·
Go here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows8ISO

make yourself a windows 8.1 - 64 bit usb installation tool
on the link selelct on the drop arrow - windows 8.1
then the language version and then 64bit
Then save the disc image file to your desktop

When you have the disc image file on the desktop
go here
https://www.eightforums.com/threads...nd,do the repair install with. More items...

and follow point 5 Repair install using ISO
MOUNT the ISO
Right click the ISO file on the desktop and click MOUNT
This will enable a virtual drive and you will see the mounted ISO in the virtual drive - it is like a dvd drive

on the ISO the last file will be setup
double click setup
That is point 6 and 7 on the link

NOW go to point 12 on the link
Keep windows settings, personal files and apps
subject to what screens you see go to point 15 and click install

DO NOT delete as per point 23.
Although I have outlined the main points you need to read the link details carefully
I cannot type out each and avery instruction.

This procedure will make a repair install of windows on your computer and should correct the permissions for the update issue and the permissions for the Security issue.

CARRY OUT THIS PROCEDURE signed into your usual USER account with admin rights please, not the system account,.

IT IS VERY UNUSUAL for anything to go wrong but obviously there are no guarantees and if you have any personal data you need, back that up first to a flash pen or external drive.

#21 ·
Performed repair as instructed, no issues along the way, however, for both the original(password protected) admin account and the new one we(you)created, nothing has changed. Only thing that has changed that I have found so far is that the General(limited access)account CAN change the Windows Update settings, but regarding Windows Defender, actions and results the same as the other two accounts(and same as before the repair).

Also, the General User account cannot view update history from Windows Update - no error message, nothing, however from this account, from the Uninstall a Program page, I can view the UPDATE history. I realize this is a subtle difference. Another item, on Control Panel, still in this account, cannot check for updates(doesn't even ask for admin password), system just states Windows can't check for updates because the service isn't' running, you may need to restart your PC, did, no change

Finally, I didn't touch Disk Cleanup at all

Thanks again.

#22 ·
1. Disable that system admin account
type the same cmd as before but change the word YES for the word NO

so it now is
net user administrator /active:no

go here
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/minitoolbox/
download mini toolbox
right click icon, click run as admin
click to check ONLY
installed programs
Click GO
a notepad file will appear on the desktop
open it
select al and paste to reply please

#23 ·
Tried doing this as before. I attached a pic of my command prompt tries, none working, showing syntax and other errors, Please verify if I'm missing a space between characters or something.
ALSO - I could swear, the command prompt that came up when it worked(and the additional admin account appeared) said "windows" in it or something other than "C:\Users\al>
Thank you

Attachments

#24 ·
1. It is not a cmd prompt with admin rights
2. The first cmd is correct but access is denied as it is not, as I said a cmd prompt with admin rights
3. On the second cmd you have put a space after the / - there is no spave between the / and active
Copy and paste the cmd it is easier.

The cmd prompt must be an admin cmd prompt
go to a cmd prompt with admin rights
that is type cmd in search and when it appears aobe right click and click run as admin.

Press windows key
type (I know there is apparently no where to type)
cmd
when you type it will appear
right click and click run as admin
The cmd window must be headed
Administrator - Command Prompt

#25 ·
MiniToolBox by Farbar Version: 17-06-2016
Ran by al (administrator) on 11-09-2020 at 16:13:30
Running from "C:\Users\al\Downloads"
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (X64)
Model: HP ENVY 14 Notebook PC Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
Boot Mode: Normal

=========================== Installed Programs ============================

64 Bit HP CIO Components Installer (HKLM\...\{3138F992-045B-4F55-825C-53B231E647CA}) (Version: 13.2.1 - Hewlett-Packard) Hidden
7-Zip 9.20 (x64 edition) (HKLM\...\{23170F69-40C1-2702-0920-000001000000}) (Version: 9.20.00.0 - Igor Pavlov)
Acronis True Image 2015 (HKLM-x32\...\{35CFA5F4-EE2D-4B13-AAED-BC643B6874B5}) (Version: 18.0.6613 - Acronis) Hidden
Acronis True Image 2015 (HKLM-x32\...\{35CFA5F4-EE2D-4B13-AAED-BC643B6874B5}Visible) (Version: 18.0.6613 - Acronis)
Adobe Shockwave Player 12.0 (HKLM-x32\...\Adobe Shockwave Player) (Version: 12.0.4.144 - Adobe Systems, Inc.)
Bonjour (HKLM\...\{6E3610B2-430D-4EB0-81E3-2B57E8B9DE8D}) (Version: 3.0.0.10 - Apple Inc.)
CyberLink Media Suite 10 (HKLM-x32\...\InstallShield_{1FBF6C24-C1fD-4101-A42B-0C564F9E8E79}) (Version: 10.0.8.4420 - CyberLink Corp.)
CyberLink MediaEspresso 6.7 (HKLM-x32\...\InstallShield_{E3739848-5329-48E3-8D28-5BBD6E8BE384}) (Version: 6.7.3.5419 - CyberLink Corp.)
Cyberlink PhotoDirector (HKLM\...\{5A454EC5-217A-42a5-8CE1-2DDEC4E70E01}) (Version: 5.0.3.5715 - CyberLink Corp.) Hidden
Cyberlink PhotoDirector (HKLM-x32\...\InstallShield_{5A454EC5-217A-42a5-8CE1-2DDEC4E70E01}) (Version: 5.0.3.5715 - CyberLink Corp.)
CyberLink Power Media Player 12 (HKLM-x32\...\InstallShield_{B46BEA36-0B71-4A4E-AE41-87241643FA0A}) (Version: 12.0.5.4505 - CyberLink Corp.)
CyberLink Power2Go 8 (HKLM-x32\...\InstallShield_{2A87D48D-3FDF-41fd-97CD-A1E370EFFFE2}) (Version: 8.0.8.4316 - CyberLink Corp.)
CyberLink PowerBackup 2.6 (HKLM-x32\...\InstallShield_{ADD5DB49-72CF-11D8-9D75-000129760D75}) (Version: 2.6.1.0903 - CyberLink Corp.)
CyberLink PowerDirector 12 (HKLM\...\{E1646825-D391-42A0-93AA-27FA810DA093}) (Version: 12.0.2.3324 - CyberLink Corp.) Hidden
CyberLink PowerDirector 12 (HKLM-x32\...\InstallShield_{E1646825-D391-42A0-93AA-27FA810DA093}) (Version: 12.0.2.3324 - CyberLink Corp.)
CyberLink YouCam (HKLM-x32\...\InstallShield_{01FB4998-33C4-4431-85ED-079E3EEFE75D}) (Version: 5.0.5.4523 - CyberLink Corp.)
D3DX10 (HKLM-x32\...\{E09C4DB7-630C-4F06-A631-8EA7239923AF}) (Version: 15.4.2368.0902 - Microsoft) Hidden
DisableMSDefender (HKLM\...\{74FE39A0-FB76-47CD-84BA-91E2BBB17EF2}) (Version: 1.0.0 - Hewlett-Packard Company) Hidden
Dropbox 25 GB (HKLM-x32\...\{597A58EC-42D6-4940-8739-FB94491B013C}) (Version: 0.9.0 - Dropbox, Inc.)
Energy Star (HKLM\...\{465CA2B6-98AF-4E77-BE22-A908C34BB9EC}) (Version: 1.0.9 - Hewlett-Packard Company)
Evernote v. 5.5.3 (HKLM-x32\...\{B1A0F908-1448-11E4-8684-00163E98E7D0}) (Version: 5.5.3.4236 - Evernote Corp.)
Foxit PhantomPDF (HKLM-x32\...\{89BF1D4D-1D62-451E-9496-B971BDE82720}) (Version: 6.0.33.715 - Foxit Corporation)
Google Chrome (HKLM-x32\...\Google Chrome) (Version: 85.0.4183.102 - Google LLC)
Google Update Helper (HKLM-x32\...\{60EC980A-BDA2-4CB6-A427-B07A5498B4CA}) (Version: 1.3.35.451 - Google LLC) Hidden
Hewlett-Packard ACLM.NET v1.2.2.3 (HKLM-x32\...\{6F340107-F9AA-47C6-B54C-C3A19F11553F}) (Version: 1.00.0000 - Hewlett-Packard Company) Hidden
HP 3D DriveGuard (HKLM-x32\...\{13133E99-B0D5-4143-B832-AAD55C62A41C}) (Version: 6.0.19.1 - Hewlett-Packard Company)
HP Control Zone (HKLM\...\SynTPDeinstKey) (Version: 18.1.7.16 - Synaptics Incorporated)
HP CoolSense (HKLM-x32\...\{ADE2F6A7-E7BD-4955-BD66-30903B223DDF}) (Version: 2.20.41 - Hewlett-Packard Company)
HP Documentation (HKLM-x32\...\{406AFD07-87ED-4C77-8869-090FFCA2A133}) (Version: 1.1.0.0 - Hewlett-Packard)
HP Registration Service (HKLM\...\{D1E8F2D7-7794-4245-B286-87ED86C1893C}) (Version: 1.2.7745.4851 - Hewlett-Packard)
HP SimplePass (HKLM-x32\...\InstallShield_{314FAD12-F785-4471-BCE8-AB506642B9A1}) (Version: 8.01.11 - Hewlett-Packard)
HP Support Assistant (HKLM-x32\...\{1E7F409E-E35A-4DF8-BF5C-FE34B74B640E}) (Version: 7.6.31.30 - Hewlett-Packard Company)
HP System Event Utility (HKLM-x32\...\{C39A7F0F-89A6-44BB-B1BF-5F96569B5345}) (Version: 1.2.9 - Hewlett-Packard Company)
HP Wireless Button Driver (HKLM-x32\...\{30B2D1D8-0A07-4B71-9553-0710C5D31E35}) (Version: 1.1.2.1 - Hewlett-Packard Company)
Inst5675 (HKLM\...\{2DE6247C-7077-451B-8BA7-FFD1A2ABBB47}) (Version: 8.01.11 - Softex Inc.) Hidden
Inst5676 (HKLM\...\{878F6913-7421-4713-97F7-0A736EE2A188}) (Version: 8.01.11 - Softex Inc.) Hidden
Intel(R) Chipset Device Software (HKLM-x32\...\{e0008118-71df-4125-bda8-1e59dd9dca41}) (Version: 10.0.21 - Intel(R) Corporation) Hidden
Intel(R) Management Engine Components (HKLM\...\{1CEAC85D-2590-4760-800F-8DE5E91F3700}) (Version: 10.0.28.1006 - Intel Corporation)
Intel(R) Processor Graphics (HKLM-x32\...\{F0E3AD40-2BBD-4360-9C76-B9AC9A5886EA}) (Version: 10.18.10.3960 - Intel Corporation)
Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology (HKLM\...\{409CB30E-E457-4008-9B1A-ED1B9EA21140}) (Version: 13.2.0.1016 - Intel Corporation)
Intel(R) Update Manager (HKLM-x32\...\{84A2B59B-6A7B-4C01-8592-15C9BFE6AC36}) (Version: 2.4.3 - Intel Corporation)
Malwarebytes version 4.2.0.82 (HKLM\...\{35065F43-4BB2-439A-BFF7-0F1014F2E0CD}_is1) (Version: 4.2.0.82 - Malwarebytes)
Microsoft 365 - en-us (HKLM\...\O365HomePremRetail - en-us) (Version: 16.0.13029.20344 - Microsoft Corporation)
Microsoft Edge (HKLM-x32\...\Microsoft Edge) (Version: 85.0.564.51 - Microsoft Corporation)
Microsoft Edge Update (HKLM-x32\...\Microsoft Edge Update) (Version: 1.3.135.29 - )
Microsoft OneDrive (HKCU\...\OneDriveSetup.exe) (Version: 20.143.0716.0003 - Microsoft Corporation)
Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition [ENU] (HKLM-x32\...\{F0B430D1-B6AA-473D-9B06-AA3DD01FD0B8}) (Version: 3.1.0000 - Microsoft Corporation)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (HKLM-x32\...\{710f4c1c-cc18-4c49-8cbf-51240c89a1a2}) (Version: 8.0.61001 - Microsoft Corporation)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (HKLM-x32\...\{7299052b-02a4-4627-81f2-1818da5d550d}) (Version: 8.0.56336 - Microsoft Corporation)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (HKLM-x32\...\{837b34e3-7c30-493c-8f6a-2b0f04e2912c}) (Version: 8.0.59193 - Microsoft Corporation)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (x64) (HKLM\...\{ad8a2fa1-06e7-4b0d-927d-6e54b3d31028}) (Version: 8.0.61000 - Microsoft Corporation)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64 9.0.30729.17 (HKLM\...\{8220EEFE-38CD-377E-8595-13398D740ACE}) (Version: 9.0.30729 - Microsoft Corporation)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64 9.0.30729.6161 (HKLM\...\{5FCE6D76-F5DC-37AB-B2B8-22AB8CEDB1D4}) (Version: 9.0.30729.6161 - Microsoft Corporation)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.17 (HKLM-x32\...\{9A25302D-30C0-39D9-BD6F-21E6EC160475}) (Version: 9.0.30729 - Microsoft Corporation)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.4148 (HKLM-x32\...\{1F1C2DFC-2D24-3E06-BCB8-725134ADF989}) (Version: 9.0.30729.4148 - Microsoft Corporation)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.6161 (HKLM-x32\...\{9BE518E6-ECC6-35A9-88E4-87755C07200F}) (Version: 9.0.30729.6161 - Microsoft Corporation)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x64 Redistributable - 10.0.40219 (HKLM\...\{1D8E6291-B0D5-35EC-8441-6616F567A0F7}) (Version: 10.0.40219 - Microsoft Corporation)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable - 10.0.40219 (HKLM-x32\...\{F0C3E5D1-1ADE-321E-8167-68EF0DE699A5}) (Version: 10.0.40219 - Microsoft Corporation)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable (x64) - 11.0.50727 (HKLM-x32\...\{15134cb0-b767-4960-a911-f2d16ae54797}) (Version: 11.0.50727.1 - Microsoft Corporation)
Movie Maker (HKLM-x32\...\{38F03569-A636-4CF3-BDDE-032C8C251304}) (Version: 16.4.3528.0331 - Microsoft Corporation) Hidden
Movie Maker (HKLM-x32\...\{DD67BE4B-7E62-4215-AFA3-F123A800A389}) (Version: 16.4.3528.0331 - Microsoft Corporation) Hidden
Office 16 Click-to-Run Extensibility Component (HKLM-x32\...\{90160000-008C-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}) (Version: 16.0.13029.20200 - Microsoft Corporation) Hidden
Office 16 Click-to-Run Extensibility Component 64-bit Registration (HKLM\...\{90160000-00DD-0000-1000-0000000FF1CE}) (Version: 16.0.13029.20200 - Microsoft Corporation) Hidden
Office 16 Click-to-Run Licensing Component (HKLM\...\{90160000-008F-0000-1000-0000000FF1CE}) (Version: 16.0.13029.20344 - Microsoft Corporation) Hidden
Office 16 Click-to-Run Localization Component (HKLM-x32\...\{90160000-008C-0409-0000-0000000FF1CE}) (Version: 16.0.13029.20200 - Microsoft Corporation) Hidden
Qualcomm Atheros Driver Installation Program (HKLM-x32\...\{C3A32068-8AB1-4327-BB16-BED9C6219DC7}) (Version: 10.0 - Qualcomm Atheros)
Realtek Card Reader (HKLM-x32\...\{5BC2B5AB-80DE-4E83-B8CF-426902051D0A}) (Version: 6.3.273.55 - Realtek Semiconductor Corp.)
Realtek Ethernet Controller Driver (HKLM-x32\...\{8833FFB6-5B0C-4764-81AA-06DFEED9A476}) (Version: 8.32.508.2014 - Realtek)
Realtek High Definition Audio Driver (HKLM-x32\...\{F132AF7F-7BCA-4EDE-8A7C-958108FE7DBC}) (Version: 6.0.1.7358 - Realtek Semiconductor Corp.)
Samsung Printer Live Update (HKLM-x32\...\Samsung Printer Live Update) (Version: 1.01.00:04(2013-04-22) - Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.)
SUPERAntiSpyware (HKLM\...\{CDDCBBF1-2703-46BC-938B-BCC81A1EEAAA}) (Version: 6.0.1204 - SUPERAntiSpyware.com)
swMSM (HKLM-x32\...\{612C34C7-5E90-47D8-9B5C-0F717DD82726}) (Version: 12.0.0.1 - Adobe Systems, Inc) Hidden
Validity WBF DDK (HKLM\...\{21498212-1146-4540-8A81-6A1328BA19F2}) (Version: 4.5.228.0 - Validity Sensors, Inc.)
Windows Live Essentials (HKLM-x32\...\WinLiveSuite) (Version: 16.4.3528.0331 - Microsoft Corporation)

**** End of log ****

#28 ·
Uninstall these please

Malwarebytes version 4.2.0.82 (HKLM\...\{35065F43-4BB2-439A-BFF7-0F1014F2E0CD}_is1) (Version: 4.2.0.82 - Malwarebytes)
SUPERAntiSpyware (HKLM\...\{CDDCBBF1-2703-46BC-938B-BCC81A1EEAAA}) (Version: 6.0.1204 - SUPERAntiSpyware.com)
then shutdown and reboot
go here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/defenderupdates
click the 64bit file for windows 8.1 (includes 10)
download it and run it.

Reboot and check if defender is now turned on

#26 ·
So has the cmd for net usedr to turn off the system admin account now worked

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.