1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 8.1 not accepting POP emails.

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Albiedon, Dec 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Albiedon

Albiedon Thread Starter

Hello,
    I bought an ACER E5-571-5428 some time ago and spent such a long time trying to get emails on it without success that, eventually, I gave it up in disgust. It has Windows 8.1 (I think, although it might be just Windows 8). The laptop I'm using here is ACER ASPIRE 5741 which has Windows 7.
    The problem that I couldn't cope with is that I have one email address which uses POP and, for some reason, Windows 8.1 does not accept POP emails. I should be grateful if you could explain what I have to do to make my POP email address acceptable. Perhaps I should wait until Windows 10 comes out, which, hopefully, will accept POP emails.
    Your pleasant birthday wishes email reminded me that I was a member of Tech Support. I only wish I had remembered when I was fiddling about with the 8.1.
    Kind regards,
    Albiedon.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I've been getting mail from POP email servers on Windows 8 and 8.1 since each was released, using both web mail access and using the Thunderbird email client.

My guess is that you are trying to use the lame Windows Store MAIL App, which at the beginning did not support POP and I have heard no news that it has been fixed. If the MAIL App is not the source of your problem please tell us what email client you are trying to use.

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Mail is only IMAP or EAS.

Why do you need POP?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What is EAS, James?

My ISP (Mediacom) has only POP mail. I think many, if not most, ISPs are that way (unless there have been recent changes).

5. Albiedon

Albiedon Thread Starter

Many thanks for your message Terry.
    My email address is *****@btinternet.com. I've been using this since I started in the mid 1990s: firstly with Windows96, I think it was, then Windows XP, then Windows 7. These all worked well with my address without any problems. Now with 8.1, my address is not being accepted. I don't want to mess about with webmails; Thunderbird I've never heard of.
    The impression I get is that 8 and 8.1 are disasters.
    I think I just have to accept that my new laptop with 8.1 is useless, and wait for Windows 10 to come out, and, when it does, that Microsoft gives all of those with 8 or 8.1 on their computers a free update.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What email client did you use in Windows 7? As far as I know every client that works in Windows 7 will work in Windows 8 and 8.1. If you were satisfied with it why not use it?

I'm still guessing that you are trying to use the Windows Store MAIL App. If you are determined to use an App search for "mail" in the Store. There are dozens there; noticed one called fMail says it works with POP3 (costs $2.99 with a free trial). With some research you'll probably find at least one free one.

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Exchange ActiveSync

BT has IMAP settings:

Incoming Mail Server: mail.btinternet.com
    Port: 993 (this should be automatically populated if you tick the SSL Encryption)
    SSL Encryption: Enabled (but not STARTTLS)
    Username: your email address including the @btinternet or @btopenworld.com part
    Password: your btinternet password

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Hate to break it to you Albiedon, but Windows 7 didn't have an email client at all. You must have installed something to use email on Windows 7. Was it perhaps Windows Live Mail? If so simply install Windows Live Mail just as you did on Windows 7. Here's where you can download it, it's part of Windows Esssentials: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-live/essentials

So I guess Windows 7 was a disaster too, considering it didn't have an email client at?

Or setup the email account as IMAP, POP is old and outdated anyways.

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Some Windows 7 editions did not come with WML, some did.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I have not heard of any Windows 7 editions coming with Windows Live Mail. But I have heard of some OEMs or retailers installing it as part of their bloatware.

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Some manufacturer's preinstalled Windows Live Mail but it definitely was not part of Windows 7. Some manufacturer's also preinstall it on Windows 8.

12. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Well that makes sense :/

13. Albiedon

Albiedon Thread Starter

Many thanks to all the people who have written to offer advice. You are all a lot more computer savvy than I am, but, on the other hand, I am not daft and there must be many, many thousands of people who have bought 8 or 8.1 and who feel the same way about Microsoft as I do. Why can't those clever people who work for Microsoft produce something that is more user-friendly?
    Anyhow, I have a few things to try now and I would like to close this discussion.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1138954

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice