1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Windows 8.1 OS got corrupted -- can boot in Safe Mode only.

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Seaoharewhy, Jul 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Seaoharewhy

Seaoharewhy Thread Starter

First Name:
    cory
    Hi All,

Thanks so much for this excellent site, first of all. I'm hoping to get some help reinstalling my operating system. Here is the issue:

I'm using an HP Envy Core i7, 16gb RAM, and a 1 TB SSD drive on Windows 8.1 -- if you need more info, please let me know. The machine is about 2 years old

The last few times I restarted my system, I noticed it took slightly longer to reboot. Then it took several minutes, and I was about to take it in to be looked at when it stopped booting at all. I am able to boot it now only in safe mode, by tapping shift + f8 on a restart, and then selecting the 5th option (restart with network and safe mode -- something like that). Unfortunately, I can not seem to do a factory reset or a system recovery/restore, as none of these options are available to me in this mode.

I have backed up all my data so I would just like to do a clean wipe and re-install of WIn 8.1 (or even Win 10), but I can't figure out how to do it from here. HP wanted to charge me $150 and have me send it in (out of warranty) and the obnoxious PC repair guy down the street wants $200 to do this. My hunch is that there must be a way I can do it myself, whether that means making a bootable OS on a USB or something else?

Would anyone be willing to help me out with this one? I'd be super grateful and will be happy to buy you a virtual beer! :)

Thanks in advance,
    Cory

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

You can download the 8.1 ISO here, and either put it on a USB drive or DVD (the former's faster for re-installs). Do you have the product key handy? If not, and the laptop came pre-installed, it's likely stored in the BIOS and a re-install will pull it from there.

3. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

full model details please of HP Envy please
    What happens when you try and boot normally
    Is any message displayed
    Black screen with cursor
    etc.
    To which screen does it go
    please provide full details

On advanced options before selecting start up settings have you tried automatic repair AND in case it is a graphics problem have you tried low resolution video

Usually when windows will load only in safe mode it is a driver issue or third party software, as in safe mode only a minimal number of drivers and services are loaded

Before you consider a reinstall - we need to try and ascertain why the present problem exists.

Reference the post above from my colleague here is the link he mentions for the download of the 8.1 install media
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows8

4. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Thank you, Macboatmaster. It would've helped if I'd C&P'ed the hyperlink properly. Mea culpa!

5. Seaoharewhy

First Name:
    cory
    Hi Bacboatmaster,

Thanks for responding. Its a HP ENVY 15t-j000 Quad Edition CTO Notebook PC. When I try to restart normally, the blue HP logo comes up, and then it goes to a black screen and just stays there - nothing else happens. Im not sure where the advanced options youre referring to are, and no, I haven't tried anything with the low res video (don't know how to do that). I hope this is helpful. Thanks

6. Seaoharewhy

First Name:
    cory
    Hi lochlomonder,

Thank you for responding. When I tried to get 8.1 from the link you recommended, I got the following messgae: "The download task did not complete. The dependency service or group failed to start"

I selected US English, Windows 8.1, and 64 bit. Not sure what went wrong...

7. Seaoharewhy

First Name:
    cory
    But if I can manage to download it elsewhere, how to I then reinstall it? That's what I am confused about. Can I try to torent Win 8.1 from somewhere, or would that not be advisable?

8. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    HP ENVY 15t-j000 Quad Edition CTO Notebook PC

From what I can determine, all of the HP ENVY 15t-j000 custom-to-order notebooks come with Windows 8 64-bit.

What's the exact product number(P/N) on yours?

--------------------------------------------------------------

9. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

it is no use trying to download it on that Envy download it on another computer

However - what options are available to you on F8

torrents are out of the question and you use only the authorised Microsoft download
    If you have been torrenting that may very well be the cause of your problems
    You are more or less certain to acquire all manner of unwanted software

You download it and create media then bring the media to this computer

10. Seaoharewhy

First Name:
    cory
    THe PN is C8P47AV

11. Seaoharewhy

First Name:
    cory
    These are the options available to me with F8:

Attached Files:

12. Seaoharewhy

First Name:
    cory
    I haven't been torrenting, but I read that it might be possible to torrent an OS, that's why I was asking -- but if you advise against it, I won't do that.

So if I can download it on another laptop, how to i "create media and bring media to this computer?"

13. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

If you look at the link Macboatmaster provided, click on Download Tool Now. This is the Media Creation Tool which, when run, can save the ISO to a DVD or flash drive for you on another PC, to be used on your laptop.

14. Seaoharewhy

First Name:
    cory
    I'm unable to use the download now tool -- I keep getting an error message (please see above in the thread) I think its because I can't get out of safe mode

15. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    There's a Windows 8 64-bit recovery media disc kit available for that HP notebook.
    What's the exact serial number on yours?

------------------------------------------------------------

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1174636

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice