1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 8.1 requesting activation and giving runndll errors

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by qtkiwi, Jul 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. qtkiwi

qtkiwi Thread Starter

Hi there
    I have a fairly new machine running Windows 8.1. In the last week or so it has given various rundll errors. I have tried to do a system restore but when I get to the System Protection option i get the attached system properties protection error message. In addition to this it has started requesting that I activate windows (it's never asked me to do this before and I assume was activated when I purchased the machine. However, it doesnt allow me to activate and just says

Windows cant activate at this time. Try activating again later. If that doesnt work, contact support.
    Admittedly I havent contacted 'support' yet but I cant envisage Microsoft being much assistance.

I deactivated AVG to try running combofix (which I saw on another thread here), but it wouldnt run and gave me the error that ComboFix is not meant to run in Compatibility mode. I haven't attempted to sort that out (but that is why AVG is disabled as you will see below).

I have also just discovered sweetim on the machine which I am about to attempt to remove using SpyHunter.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD A10-6800K APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics, AMD64 Family 21 Model 19 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 7366 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 8670D, 768 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 953516 MB, Free - 887883 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., A88XM-A
    Antivirus: AVG AntiVirus Free Edition 2014, Disabled

Attached Files:

2. qtkiwi

qtkiwi Thread Starter

Sorry, I just realised the attachment isnt allowed. The error says:

SystemPropertiesProtection.exe - Bad Image
    C:\Windows\system32\SPP.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support. Error status 0xc0000020

The main rundll error says:
    RunDLL
    There was a problem starting C:\Windows\system32\WerConCpl.dll
    C:\Windows\system32\WerConCpl.dll is not a valid Win32 application

I tried to post a hijack this log but hijack this gave me the following error:
    For some reason your system denied write access to the Hosts file. If any hijacked domains are in this file, Hijack this may NOT be able to fix this.
    If that happens, you need to edit the file yourself. To do this click start, run and type:
    notepad C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    and press enter, find the line(s) HiJackThis reports and delete them. Save the file as 'hosts.'(with quotes, and reboot.
    For Vista...

(I haven't done this as I'm not sure what it means). I seem to be able to run HiJack this and run the scan but if I click analyse this it says No Internet Connections Available (no idea why it says that as internet is working fine). If I click Save log, it opens the save logfile box and then a blank notepad file opens with the error
    Cannot find the C:\Program Files (x86)\Trens Micro\Hijackthis\hijackthis.log file.
    Do you want to create a new file?
    Click Yes, and I jsut still have a blank notepad file titled untitled.

3. qtkiwi

qtkiwi Thread Starter

BUMP - can anyone offer any suggestions?

4. qtkiwi

qtkiwi Thread Starter

Can anyone please help or offer some advice? :confused:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1130358

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice